Connect Excel for Mac to a file saved in Sharepoint

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,
I have already searched the forum for a solution to my problem, but nothing seems to work.

I would like to import, via Power Query, data contained in Excel files saved on Sharepoint. I have Excel for Mac.

I found similar questions, but none of the proposed solutions seem to work for me.

I have a Microsoft 365 Business Premium account.

Thank you

2 Replies

@Enrico_Laurenti 

The process of connecting Excel for Mac to a file saved in SharePoint using Power Query can be a bit different from the Windows version of Excel. However, I can provide you with a general guideline on how to achieve this using Excel for Mac. Please note that the specific steps may have changed with updates to the software, so you may need to refer to Microsoft's latest documentation or consult with your IT department for the most current guidance.

Here are the general steps to connect Excel for Mac to a file in SharePoint using Power Query:

1. Ensure You Have the Right URL: Make sure you have the URL to the SharePoint site and the file you want to connect to. You'll need the full URL path to the SharePoint location.
  2. Open Excel for Mac: Launch Excel for Mac and create a new workbook or open an existing one where you want to import data.
  3. Data Tab: Click on the "Data" tab in the Excel ribbon.
  4. Get Data: In the "Data" tab, look for the "Get Data" or "Get External Data" option. Click on it.
  5. From SharePoint Online: You should see an option like "From SharePoint Online" or "From SharePoint Folder." Select this option.
  6. Enter SharePoint URL: A dialog box will open asking for the SharePoint site URL. Enter the full URL to the SharePoint site where your file is located.
  7. Sign In: You'll be prompted to sign in with your Microsoft 365 account if you're not already signed in. Provide your login credentials.
  8. Navigate to Your File: Once you're signed in, you should be able to navigate through the SharePoint folders to find the Excel file you want to import.
  9. Load Data: Select the file, and Excel will display a navigator where you can choose which specific tables or data to import. Once you've made your selections, click "Load."
  10. Power Query Editor (Optional): If you need to transform or edit the data before loading it into Excel, you can use the Power Query Editor, which allows you to apply various transformations to the data.
  11. Data in Excel: The data from the SharePoint file will be loaded into your Excel workbook.

Please note that the exact wording and options in Excel for Mac may vary depending on the version and updates. If you encounter any issues, ensure that your version of Office is up to date. Additionally, you might find the "Get & Transform Data" feature in Excel for Mac useful for data import and transformation tasks, especially when dealing with data from external sources like SharePoint. Since no one has replied to this for over a day and more, I entered your question in various AI's. The text and the steps are the result of the compilation of different AI's.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@NikolinoDE 

I am experiencing a similar issue. On the Windows platform, I establish a connection between my Excel application and Excel files located on SharePoint using Power Query, and the process functions seamlessly. However, upon attempting to replicate this on a Mac platform, I encounter an error message indicating the following:

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 3.50.47 PM.png

Upon attempting to sign in, the system fails to recognize my organization's sign-in credentials.