BLOCKED images

Copper Contributor

Hi. I'm loading images in a column by inserting a ‘http link’ in one column, and this formula in another:  (=IMAGE(column)). It has worked great until I had to restart my machine and tried to continue this insert process (I’m up to 300 images…). But now I get 'BLOCKED!' in the Image column. I’ve tried inserting another line, another column, etc. but the only thing that works is starting an New Sheet – Which I cannot do because the original file is a part of a larger company file/database.  I have also tried copying the Row from the New Sheet, onto the “BLOCKED!” sheet, and it still comes out “BLOCKED!”.   Thoughts on how to fix?

I have a Mac 12.1 Monterey, Excel v. 16.69.1

(Everything I read said to go to the 'Trust Center’ but that doesn't seem to exist on my Mac --or this version--and going to Preferences/Privacy doesn't get me anywhere).

7 Replies
Im having the is same exact issue

Hi@buddj83 !  Looks like you and I are left in the cold. HOWEVER, I did discover a workaround that has helped: Below the ribbon at the top is a beige band that states, "Security Warning..."Enable Content"  -- Once I clicked "Enable Content", and REDID the link...that seem to work.  I don't know if that's a permanent solution...but hope it helps. Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 5.20.23 PM.png

Unfortunately I dont have the security warning, that would be too easy!

Hi @ZShark,

I have asked ChatGPT for an explanation since I also ran into the same issue.

Thankfully, I was able to create a Microsoft 365 and PowerApps Savant to assist me in situations like these. I have decided to forego the IMAGE() formula based on the response received from ChatGPT. Currently I run a VBA code to insert and embed the images as an object and it works perfectly for my needs. Here is the response I received from the Savant:

"The #BLOCKED! error message in Excel indicates that the image could not be loaded due to security settings or network restrictions. This error message is usually caused by the security settings of your computer or network, which might be blocking the image from being loaded.

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. Check if you have an active internet connection and ensure that the website hosting the image is not blocked by your network.
  2. Check if you have enabled the "Display images and external content" option in Excel. You can do this by going to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > External Content, and then selecting the "Enable all data connections" and "Enable automatic update for all workbook links" options.
  3. Try using a different image or website to check if the issue is specific to the image you are trying to insert.
  4. If the issue persists, you may need to contact your IT department or network administrator for further assistance.

It is worth noting that using the IMAGE() formula to insert images in Excel can cause the file size to become large, which can slow down the performance of the workbook. It is generally recommended to use other methods, such as inserting images directly into the worksheet or linking to external image files, to avoid this issue."

I hope this helps, have a nice day.

Best regards,

Capella_AI

@buddj83 I struggled with for hours as the MS help was useless. In my case the #BLOCKED! error was, *I think*, caused by the fact I was working offline. I managed to solve it by logging into the online version of Excel and trying the same =IMAGE() function and I got an option to allow images. Then when I went back to the desktop client I had the beige band @ZShark mentioned.

@Capella_AI Do you have additional information regarding the VBA Code you mentioned using to insert and embed images?  That sounds like the solution I'm looking for, too!

Thanks,

Aron

@ZShark 

I just came across this problem myself. For my the issue was the image URL I was trying to pull from used http, rather than https. Using a quick SUBSTITUTE formula, I changed them all over the https and excel removed the block and my pictures pulled through.

Hope this helps someone else.