SOLVED

Alphabetizing a worksheet

Copper Contributor

I am working on a 3 column worksheet (Last name, first name, and date of birth) and wanted to alphabetize it by the first column (last name). How do I do this without mixing

6 Replies

Hello @pdmathews13,

When you say "How do I do this without mixing" do you mean, how do I sort while keeping the order across rows intact?

If so, I recommend selecting all of your data in these three columns and formatting the data as a table. Once the data is formatted as a table, you may then sort the data by Last Name while keeping the correct first name and DOB intact.

@PReagan How do I do that? Also, will it automatically put new names entered in the right place or do I just need to wait until I am done adding names?

Hello, right-click on any cell in the Last Name column and Select From A to Z or Z to A from Sort!

Hope this is helpful

How do I format as a table?

best response confirmed by pdmathews13 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@pdmathews13 ,

You can simply sort it by sorting the Last Name column from A to Z by right clicking on any cell in the column and then selecting Sort---> A to Z

You can also sort the data by different columns' priority by selecting any cell in the data and going to Data ---> Sort and then selecting the priority of column sorting.

Abdelrahman Abdou,

Certified Microsoft Excel Expert, Consultant.

Founder, Owner @ ExcelBonanza.com

clipboard_image_0.jpeg

ExcelBonanza.com

Connect on Linkedin | Youtube | Facebook

@pdmathews13 

To format data as a table, select any cell within your range, go to the Home Tab, under the Styles section select Format as Table, select a Table style, ensure that your full range of data is in the text box labeled Where is the data for your table? and choose whether your table already has headers or not by (de)selecting the box labeled My table has headers. Then, to sort alphabetically by last name, select the downward facing arrow located in your header and choose Sort A to Z.

Each time you add a new name to the bottom of your table, you will need to re-sort your list alphabetically, it will not automatically sort your list for you.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by pdmathews13 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@pdmathews13 ,

You can simply sort it by sorting the Last Name column from A to Z by right clicking on any cell in the column and then selecting Sort---> A to Z

You can also sort the data by different columns' priority by selecting any cell in the data and going to Data ---> Sort and then selecting the priority of column sorting.

Abdelrahman Abdou,

Certified Microsoft Excel Expert, Consultant.

Founder, Owner @ ExcelBonanza.com

clipboard_image_0.jpeg

ExcelBonanza.com

Connect on Linkedin | Youtube | Facebook

View solution in original post