Problem with PWA icons on Start menu on Edge dev

MVP

When installing a website, such as Instagram, as PWA in Edge dev (Version 88.0.685.3), the Instagram icon appears in the apps list of Start menu, at the top under "recently added" list (not pinned yet).

when you drag & drop it on the Start menu to Pin it, it will have a small centered icon.

but if you go to edge://apps/ and Pin Instagram's icon from there

dsadsa.png

then Instagram's icon will be in normal big size in the Start menu

fdsfsdfs.png

Left side is big and normal, right side is very small pea-sized icon created by drag & drop.

Instagram is one of the websites used as example, the same thing happens to Twitter, YouTube, Bing etc (tried all of them).

see if you can reproduce it and send feedback through browser (preferably with "recreate my problem")

Windows 10 20H2 latest version

6 Replies

@HotCakeX thanks for reporting this. It should be fixed in an upcoming build.

-John

@johnjansen 

Hi,

I'm testing it again on Edge Version 88.0.705.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

still not fixed.

drag and dropping PWA icons from here to the Start menu still appear small.

gfgf.png

@HotCakeX 

I've installed several PWAs using Edge Dev's "install this site as an app" feature. Several of the web sites aren't set up to support PWAs and show up in the Start Menu with either no icon at all or really crappy looking icons.

I'd like to change the icons so that they look decent but I've searched the internet and have not been able to find anything helpful. A lot of sites refer to the webappmanifest as including the icon info but I have no control over that. I've found the PWAs' folders under C:\Users...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data\Default\Web Applications and can see a bunch of .ico files, but changing them doesn't have any effect even after restarting Windows as if the icons are cached somewhere.

Do you know how I can change the Start Menu icons for PWAs installed using Edge Dev?

Hi,
there are tools like TileIconifier (available on Github), I've used them before to modify app icons, both UWP and PWA.
Thanks for responding @HotCakeX.
Ever since I discovered TileIconifier I've been in love with it. The only problem is that neither UWP nor PWA apps show up in the list of shortcuts, so I don't know how to change the icons for UWP or PWA apps.
What's the secret incantation for those?