Download Method Suggestions

Brass Contributor

I have never been a fan of the Chrome style download system, and I have voiced my opinion on this forum before, but as many more people do appreciate this download method, it has stayed. I would like to suggest, however, that there be an option to remove downloads from the bottom bar individually, along with the option to hide the entire bar. Here is an example of what I mean:

Current context menu:

Current.jpg

With an option to remove the download from the list:

Suggested.jpg

Obviously it would not have to say "Remove from list," but something to that effect. Having the "Cancel" option change to something that would remove the item from the downloads bar once the download is complete would also be great, as the option just fades when the download finishes.

Something like this perhaps:

Suggestion 2.jpg

It's just very inconvenient when you are downloading multiple files at the same time with different sizes to have to either see all of them, or none of them. I just want to see the downloads that are incomplete, while being able to remove those that are finished, or have an option in settings that removes them from the list automatically when they are complete. One of the reasons I liked "old" Edge (yes, I know, nobody else liked it) was the way it handled downloads and asked me if I just wanted to save something to the default folder, or choose another location for it with each file, without getting in the way. With the Chrome style system, you only have the option to choose whether you want the browser to ask you where to save something every time, or not ask you at all. This is annoying to me as most of the files I download will be kept in the default folder, but I am forced to have the browser ask me each time where to save things because of the few files that need to be kept elsewhere. My only other option is to have everything saved in the default folder and then be forced to move the file to another folder in File Explorer. With the system that "old" Edge used, I could easily save files to the default folder, but if I needed to have something saved elsewhere, I could click the "Save as" button and save it where I wanted. Another useful feature was the "Open" and "Run" options for files that I would only use temporarily, like a setup file or something I only needed to look at once, which then deleted the file after I was done with it automatically, instead of forcing me to find, for example, a setup file that I just used to install something so that I could delete it. This system was also less intrusive, as the little bar that popped up when I wanted to download something only showed on the page that I was downloading from, and didn't get in the way of other things, like the Chrome style bar does. "Old" Edge's style was somewhat annoying when I wanted to download multiple files from the same page though. I believe that if the amazing team that is working on this project is able to create some sort of system that merges the positives of both of these methods of handling downloads, then this would be the perfect browser. The rest of the browser is great, and I love the layout of everything, but the downloads system is just too clunky and gets in my way too often. Of course, thanks to the team that is working on this and listening to our feedback.

"Old" Edge:

Old Edge.jpgOld Edge 2.jpg

5 Replies
There is a discussion opened by Microsoft about the download feature in Microsoft Chromium Edge:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/provide-run-open-save-save-as-options-when-downlo...

@TheShaunSaw 

Thank you for pointing this discussion out to me.

I like the type when download manager is present as a flyout, near collection, favorites button.

Personally, I prefer the banner on the bottom, as it is less noticeable and distracting to me, especially when I am downloading larger files, but I would like the banner or flyout in the top right to go away once the download is complete.

It's definitely good that Microsoft planned to change the chrome download style in Edge browser but I hope they don't apply this change in the Chromium source and only make the change to the Edge browser.
because if they somehow apply it to the Chromium source then google chrome will be able to get it too and it will be a cat and mouse game, where chrome gets Edge features all the time and then for users it will be hard to choose which browser to use because the 2 will be too similar.