Dev channel update to 90.0.803.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 90.0.803.0 to the Dev channel.  We’ve got some cool things to talk about up front, and here they are: 

As for everything that’s new feature-wise: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts in the F12 Dev Tools. 
  • Added support for showing the friendly name of a certificate when viewing its details in the Windows certificate viewer. 
  • Enabled the redesigned, smaller context menus for PDFs by default. 
  • Enabled support for the management policy to control Print Rasterization Mode from Chromium. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on launch. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing a tab. 
  • Fixed a crash when Sharing something. 
  • Fixed a crash when typing into the address bar. 
  • Fixed a crash when using speech recognition on Google websites. 
  • Fixed an issue where using the Web Widget in Guest windows sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where tabs sometimes are blank or frozen after being left alone for a while. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing sometimes fails with a message that it “can’t calculate”. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where filtering cookies on edge://settings/siteData fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge tabs sometimes don’t appear in the Windows Alt+Tab list when expected. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to Modify Edge’s installation from Windows’ list of installed programs does nothing. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening Edge via a Taskbar shortcut sometimes results in a window that isn’t associated with that shortcut. 
  • Fixed an issue where searching to type in the History or Favorites flyout sometimes stops working while typing. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening an Edge window by clicking on a website’s notification results in the window not being associated with existing Taskbar shortcuts. 
  • Fixed an issue where newly-installed PWA or websites sometimes get pinned to the Start menu or Taskbar unexpectedly. 
  • Fixed an issue where Single Sign-On doesn’t work for some work/school users. 
  • Fixed an issue where pasting into a text note in Collections sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where dropdowns on webpages sometimes prevent users from interacting with other items on the page. 
  • Fixed an issue where interactions with the Password Monitor popup don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where the wrong context menu sometimes appears in the Collections flyout. 
  • Fixed an issue where entering fullscreen turns off vertical tabs after exiting fullscreen. 
  • Fixed an issue where search suggestions sometimes don’t appear in the Web Widget. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Web Widget sometimes goes blank or black, but links can still be clicked. 
  • Fixed an issue where Password Monitor scans never appear to finish. 
  • Fixed an issue where the management policy to configure Restore On Start Up URLs sometimes doesn’t work properly when configured as “recommended”. 
  • Removed the ability to pin a website to the Taskbar from the edge://apps context menu. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

As always, we couldn’t do all this without your valuable input! 

65 Replies

@josh_bodner 

Thanks for the update,

the cookies explanation article is very useful and high quality stuff.

by the way, me and lots of others in the forum are still waiting for Chromium in Edge mobile to be updated, someone in a reddit AMA said few months ago, like +6 months ago, that they are doing something, it wasn't clear, just a generic response.

I wanted to know if there is any update on that.

Edge mobile using Chromium 77 while the latest version currently is 88 and soon 89 and so on.

@josh_bodner I don't see Kids Mode in the latest Canary, so I guess that's why it wasn't mentioned in this post.

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
I don't see Kids Mode in the latest Canary, so I guess that's why it wasn't mentioned in this post.

it's very limited at the moment, by default not even available outside US.

the only reason not outside US (in my opinion) should be the top sites they choose for NTP and lack of some localization.

it is available on Edge canary with this method , works on any region/IP address, but you can try it on Dev too maybe you'll get it.

@josh_bodner 

The problem with subsequent middle-clicks after the first on favourite bar drop-down menus not doing anything seems to be fixed, which is good. For me, desktop Edge of itself is now back ahead of Google Chrome and at least equal with Firefox.

Unfortunately it's not a matter of desktop Edge on its own - I need a desktop and an Android browser pair that work and sync together, and Android Edge languishes in the Chromium 77 doldrums without anything still appearing to have happened other than collections in over a year. It's completely unusable for me. For one thing, I have to have the ability to dark-mode  websites, like Android Chrome's option to have a settings-themes switch to darken websites, or - much better - Android Firefox's ability to use the Dark Reader extension. Far too many websites I go to have blinding white backgrounds, and without some darkify ability in Android Edge I just can't use it - even test it for anything else.

For another, I HATE bottom controls. And I'm not the only one. Note that Android Google Chrome for awhile had an experimental setting to have a split top and bottom bar very like Edge's. Some time ago now, Google removed it so one would presume it wasn't successful. And when the new, re-written Android Firefox was released as a preview in autumn 2019, it just had bottom controls. I wrote a review in the play store that I wouldn't be able to use it with bottom controls, and I don't think I was the only one because 3 months later an option to have bottom OR top controls appeared, well before stable release. I'd think about this, if I were you if you want Android Edge to get any significant traction.

Hm. I'd forgotten how much the Edge split top-bottom control interface is like the experimental one Google dropped in Android Chrome. That was in Android Chrome back round their version ... 77-ish. That's now got me wondering if you haven't been going on with Edge past Chromium 77 because you want to keep the split top-bottom interface but Google cut it from Android Chromium as a failed experiment in later Chromium.

You really need to pull your fingers out with Android Edge - it's dragging as an anchor behind desktop Edge, working against Edge adoption.

Just want to give feedback, the BETA version of Edge that we are improving, is way faster than the normal one, however, it is freezing a lot.

@Shaurya2205 

@Shaurya2205 wrote:
Just want to give feedback, the BETA version of Edge that we are improving, is way faster than the normal one, however, it is freezing a lot.
  • Have you tried disabling extensions?
  • using custom flags?
  • what are the system specs?
  • when does it freeze exactly and what are doing at that moment?

@HotCakeX

I did disable the extensions.

The time it happens it is when I go on to YouTube and when I go on to feedback on the BETA version of the edge. It also happens when I surf the web.

Kindest regards,

@Shaurya2205 

@Shaurya2205 wrote:

@HotCakeX

I did disable the extensions.

The time it happens it is when I go on to YouTube and when I go on to feedback on the BETA version of the edge. It also happens when I surf the web.

Kindest regards,

What are your system specs?
using insider version of Windows 10?

Why is the deduplication issue still on the issues list? I thought deduplication made it's way to stable so shouldn't this issue be gone now?

@josh_bodner 

Since last week's update on Microsoft Edge Dev my browser now states it is setting up sync and this continued in this week's update. 

Looking at sync internals I see that the transport state is configuring data types. 

Any advice on how to resolve this? I have reset sync and it hasn't worked.  Sync on Beta still appears to be working. 

@josh_bodner Still encountering the "White Screen" issue on Edge Dev startup in 90.0.803.0. Are you and the team still looking for GPU logs for this or any other logs? If so what's best way to share?

Have uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Edge Dev and sync now appears to be working. 

Hello @josh_bodner 

I want ask something.

When Microsoft want fix the installation path on Windows?

Because, you know when install Edge whatever Dev, Beta, or Stable, the program file location still on "Program Files (x86)," not on "Program Files."

I hope you're hear about my feedback.

Thank you.

Hello @josh_bodner 

I have a big issue with the last update on dev channel.

All context menu labels inside developers tools disappears !

2021-02-24_07-34-40.jpg

Any ideas ?

yoSachin_0-1614157120659.png

wrong highlight.

Scrolling is still broken badly.

@josh_bodner 

@dragonofmercy_ 

This has already been fixed in Canary 90.0.804.0. I even assumed that the next dev version would be exactly 804, but for some reason they chose the broken 803 :smile:

@alexmakin 

Spoiler

@alexmakin wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Since last week's update on Microsoft Edge Dev my browser now states it is setting up sync and this continued in this week's update. 

Looking at sync internals I see that the transport state is configuring data types. 

Any advice on how to resolve this? I have reset sync and it hasn't worked.  Sync on Beta still appears to be working. 

Maybe clean uninstall Edge Dev (Delete user data when asked during uninstall process) and then install it again.

@josh_bodner new build, same problem...

When starting the browser, the window stays empty for some seconds. I also get this error message:

"Profile error. Some features may not be available. An error has occurred."

If I confirm this with ok, everything actually works. I've signed out and signed in again, deleted all data, but the problem persists.

@HotCakeX

Thanks, as mentioned in my reply this is how I was able to get sync working.

Interestingly, it now correctly syncs a work profile (when had stopping syncing for a while) as well.