SOLVED

News in News Web Part not syndicating site news

Brass Contributor

Wondering if this is a bug or if I'm missing something. I have a site, using the News Web Part I'm trying to syndicate news from another site. No news is showing up though. This is how I have it configured, but when I save there is no news (I even waited a few days to see if it needed time to index them).

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 11.06.04 AM.png

11 Replies
Should just work. Works good for me. Maybe try adding a new article, or go in and edit and publish news again to force a reindex of the items, it might then come up after a few minutes.
Na, this is index related of some kind, you are getting an error you said and or blank spaces, or are you getting the webpart render like above with the default templates?

I'm still having issues getting syndicated news to display. I am the global administrator and I've added every employee to a group. They can all access the sites, but the news that is supposed to syndicate up from the sites in the hub is not visible to anyone but me. I see a functioning news web part and everyone else see this blue box (pictured below). 

Faculty___Staff_Intranet_-_Home563e286c791dc025051ef3610c0415ff5b0f0835e091089b5ab44d8ba3df96e0.jpg

Did you just add everyone to the sites connected to the hub? If so you'll have to trigger something to cause a reindex to happen for them. Like edit news on a connect hub site and republish it, wait 10 minutes see if it shows up. If you have a lot of content you may have to go the route of reindexing your tenant.
The hub was created, the sites (that were already publishing) were then connected, then the users were added to the hub (using a group). The users had already been added to the other sites (via a group) in the hub before they were connected to the hub. It sounds like adding users last is what has created the issue with news syndicating up to the hub, is that correct?
Yeah most likely. The hub news is kind of weird with how it indexes. It's like it's own deal. Just go edit a news in a connected site, and publish it, see if that will show up for the users on the hub site after 10 min. Then you'll know it's index related.
Well, I'm stumped. I tried your suggestion and no luck. I tried re-indexing the hub and the connected site, no luck. I tried increasing one user to admin on each connected site and the hub to see if it was a permission issue, no luck. I guess I'll submit a ticket. I can't figure out any way to fix this issue.
best response confirmed by Stewart Foss (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hey there,
I had a similar issue which I worked with Microsoft to investigate. In our case, our root site collection (yourdomain.sharepoint.com) is not being used as we are building on the modern experience. As such, we had limited permissions to that root site collection. Granting read access to my users to the root site collection, even though it isn't used and is not connected to my hub or spoke sites at all, fixed this issue. It's worth a shot!

Thanks for the reply Meg. Sounds like the same way we are setting things up. I'll try that and see if it fixes it.
This fixed it.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Stewart Foss (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hey there,
I had a similar issue which I worked with Microsoft to investigate. In our case, our root site collection (yourdomain.sharepoint.com) is not being used as we are building on the modern experience. As such, we had limited permissions to that root site collection. Granting read access to my users to the root site collection, even though it isn't used and is not connected to my hub or spoke sites at all, fixed this issue. It's worth a shot!

View solution in original post