Move to option in Classic view Library

Iron Contributor

Is Move To option available to use in a library that is presented in classic view ?

11 Replies

Which version of sharepoint do you have? Can't you turn on the Modern experience on the library to enable Move to command?

SharePoint Online

Yes, but most of the libraries we have are in classic view as our end-users prefer classic over modern.

Then your only options would be to access Manage Content and Structure link under Site Administration and use Move or Copy for each library. This feature only works to move files with in a site collection not across site collections.

Other option would be to click on Sync button for source and target libraries and copy files between two from OneDrive Sync Location.

Thanks

Thank you this helps. I am assuming the answer is no that there is no "move to" option in classic view
No there is not. Also if using sync method you will lose version history with the move etc. unlike modern move will retain it.
Thanks Chris and Naveen, this helps.

Everyone else has answered your question, I'm going to address your problem - moving your users to modern UI.

If your users are like mine, the prefer classic because they haven't been taught or led to modern.  I work with engineers - who are notorious for 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

The biggest stumbling block is "where are my buttons" They are used to seeing ALL the buttons ALL the time. In modern, they only see the buttons that apply to what they're doing. Once I explain that and then show them all the new features in modern - easy columns and views, smart filter, move and copy, modify the "New" menu, add a template to a library, link to document,  column formatting with colors and icons, etc. - the move to modern is almost guaranteed.

One of the growing issues for users who insist on classic is that when they google how to do something - like move a file - the instructions are all geared towards modern. The disconnect between what they see in google and on their screens is confusing.

Also, as of April, you will not be able to restrict your tenant to classic. It will have to be a library by library option. You may want to get ahead of that game and start educating them now before the change takes them by surprise.

I agree Rachel !!

Here's and excellent post by @Joanne Klein  on why modern is better than classic. While she is focused on libraries, the same is also true for lists. I would also add that a huge factor for my users is the ability for any user to hide, show or rearrange columns without being required to save another new view. Note that some of the gaps she mentions at the end are currently being addressed by Microsoft.

https://joannecklein.com/2018/08/31/10-reasons-the-sharepoint-modern-library-experience-is-better/

@Rachel Davis- that's all well and good, but I'm finding Modern to be beset by a plethora of bugs, even in the most basic and core functionality.  To be clear I'm coming to SharePoint new, not as an ingrained Classic user.  I much prefer the look and feel of Modern, but it is frustratingly unfit for purpose.

As a for instance: I have spent far too long today trying to upload new versions of files in a version controlled library, only to find that the file served back to me by viewing in a desktop app or downloading and viewing is stubbornly stuck at the previous version.  The solution?  Switch to classic, upload, check, all good.

As another example, context menus.  What do I want more than anything else when I'm using a system like SharePoint?  Well, what I don't want is to have context menu pop up and, just as I'm about to click on the item I want, for that whole menu suddenly to expand with a whole extra set of options, throwing the item I was about to click to some other part of the screen entirely.

@MarkBegbieI think it's a question of education rather than bugs. The context menu is the easy one - be careful where you click. If you want to open an item, click the document title. It should underline when you hover over it.  If you accidentally click the ... ellipsis just to the right of the title, you'll get the context menu.

As for the library, it's hard to tell what's going on without knowing how you have your library set up. I'm not sure what you mean by a "version controlled library". All libraries in SharePoint have versioning on by default, so I assume you mean something further than that. Maybe you have content approval turned on? Possibly combined with check in/check out? If yes, then what you're experiencing may be a difference in behavior in classic vs modern, not a bug. In classic, checking in a document and publishing/approving a new version can be done as a single step.  In modern, they are separate steps allowing you to use check in/check out separately from major/minor versioning.

In modern, the author would 1st need to upload/check in the file as a new draft version. If you stop here, the author would see the draft version as the author, but others will still only see the last approved full version. This sounds like what you are describing. The author would then need to go back to the context menu and publish the full version so everyone can see it. 

Personally, I would turn check in/check out off. It causes more trouble then it's worth. Even with it off, publishing a new full version is still a two step process.

But I'm also not sure why you're uploading a new file over a previous one. The whole beauty of version control is that you just edit the existing document. SharePoint will save the document as draft versions until you publish it as a new full version.