How to use the webpart News ?

Brass Contributor

Hello,

i have a modern website (communication) and i configured the webpart news who is very nice but i have some troubles :

- If i create a new article and i publish it in News webpart, it is ok, no problem. But now if i wan't to change this article, i can do it, change the image for example and if i save it will not change in News webpart, there is no refresh, the old image stay, Nothing to do....

- the second thing i'd like to know is How to delete an article published. i have the button "modify" and "publish" but no button "delete". i have to go in content website ? it is not easy to find it like this !

Thanks a lot and sorry for my English :)

6 Replies

Hi Eric,

First off: how did you create this webpart? Are the news-items published in a list and then added to the page via the webpart 'Apps' > 'Name of your list', or did you use another way to import the newsitems into the webpart?

On front webpage, i just click on "modify" after this click on "+" to add the new webpart.

After added the webpart news i click on add news

Okay, I kind of overlooked the 'online' tag you posted... I'm used to dealing with this in our SharePoint 2013 On-Premises installation, although we are currently moving to a completely Hybrid environment.

However, Microsoft has a fairly extensive manual as to how to use the News webpart in SP Online, you'll find it here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-the-news-web-part-on-a-sharepoint-page-c2dcee50-f5d7-43...

The last item in this article deals with removing news items. Should help you get underway.

Good luck, and in case you ever want this to work in an On-Premises environment, make sure you begin with adding an 'Announcements' app to your site, and then insert the webpart referencing this list - that way, you control all of your news-items from the list and the web part does the rest.

Regards,

Alexander Kenter

I don't know enough about the image problem to speak to that, but as for deleting a News page, you'll find it in your Site Pages library--you can delete it from there.

Image problem, of course, I forgot to mention... I think (though I'm not 100% sure, as I haven't yet tried the news web part in SP Online) this has to do with the fact that you work in O365: once you make a change, it takes a little while (with us, usually up to about 15 minutes) until that change has been perpetuated throughout the entire sitecollection. It has to do with the frequency with which the Search indexes your sites. That, at least, is my opinion, based on similar 'waiting periods' in Office 365...

in site content, all created news are in "attach" Library, not very easy to delete