Home

Add Location Details to SharePoint Data and Content

Highlighted
James Jackson
Microsoft

We are excited to announce a new capability for SharePoint lists and libraries. The new location column allows you to add rich location data from Bing Maps or your organization directory to any SharePoint list or library. You can then filter, sort, and search by any aspect of the location data such as address, city, or state.

 

Creating a Location Column

To add a location column, simply click Add Column then select Location

Screenshot of the add column dropdown menu with the location option highlighted

 

You can then name the column and add secondary columns to display, sort, and filter by attributes such as city, state, or country.

The Create Column pane for Location Column, showing the required name field and checkboxes for adding subcolumns such as Street Address, city, and State

 

Now when creating or editing list items, you can search for location data from Bing Maps or your organization directory to associate it with your list item.

The add item pane highlighting the location field combobox. As the user types into the combobox, potential location matches appear below and can be selected

 

Once you have added location data for your list items, you can sort and filter your list based on any of the additional columns added during the column creation process. If you want to filter by an attribute you did not include during column creation, it can be added in the Edit Column pane.

A SharePoint list of locations in Seattle sorted by street address

 

Adding a new column type to SharePoint is a rare event. We can’t wait to see what uses you come up with for this new column!

 

We anticipate roll out for targeted release will begin by the end of November, with full worldwide release by mid-December.

 

Update: After resolving some issues that were discovered in targeted release, we are now finally ready to start shipping world wide. Location Column will now be available to everyone by Monday

50 Replies

How will this look from a REST perspective?

e.g. what will the data look like if pulled into power BI? lat and long?


@James Jackson wrote:

The new location column allows you to add rich location data from Bing Maps or your organization directory to any SharePoint list or library.

 


Does this include 'Rooms & Equipment'?  And can this column be added to the SharePoint Calendars or is it only available in 'modern' lists?

Cool feature!

This is a great new column. will there be a bing maps plot available to show where all the location are? 

I would like to know this too!

We are pleased with this addition and hope to see this feature option soon.  Will we be able to convert columns with address info (currently using multiple lines of text) into a location column?

Will there be a possiblity to use OSM (OpenStreetMaps) instead Bing Maps?

Could You please give any visual exaple of using coordinates property.

Is it available for classic SharePoint versions, like SP 2013 too?

Hi Jackson

Still can't see that option in our Office356 environement... do we need to do something to activate?

Just use the _api/web/lists/getbytitle('yourlist')/items URL to see the RAW data behind this field. For i.e. a field in which I entered the Microsoft HQ in Redmond, WA, it stores internally:

 

<d:Location>{"EntityType":"LocalBusiness","LocationSource":"Bing","LocationUri":"https://www.bingapis.com/api/v6/localbusinesses/YN873x16209519703153017334","UniqueId":"https://www.bingapis.com/api/v6/localbusinesses/YN873x16209519703153017334","DisplayName":"Microsoft Corporation","Address":{"Street":"1 Microsoft Way","City":"Redmond","State":"WA","CountryOrRegion":"US","PostalCode":"98052"},"Coordinates":{"Latitude":47.6398811340332,"Longitude":-122.12833404541016}}</d:Location>

 


@Ariel Kropp wrote:

How will this look from a REST perspective?

e.g. what will the data look like if pulled into power BI? lat and long?

The main Location column stores all the location data as a JSON blob. APIs can be called to either return the full blob, or can call for specific information like geocoordinates, street address, place name, etc. by calling the related columns.

 

Calling individual sub columns will probably be the easiest method in most cases


@Scott Smith wrote:

@James Jackson wrote:

The new location column allows you to add rich location data from Bing Maps or your organization directory to any SharePoint list or library.

 


Does this include 'Rooms & Equipment'?  And can this column be added to the SharePoint Calendars or is it only available in 'modern' lists?

Cool feature!


Thanks for your enthusiasm.

 

The column does support looking up specific rooms through Room & Equipment Mailboxes, but is only available in Modern Lists, so cannot be added to a calendar.


@Carlos Cordeiro wrote:

This is a great new column. will there be a bing maps plot available to show where all the location are? 

That's a very interesting suggestion. I think this would require work on the Bing maps side and we could look into partnering with them on it.


@Patrick Fulton wrote:

We are pleased with this addition and hope to see this feature option soon.  Will we be able to convert columns with address info (currently using multiple lines of text) into a location column?

We don't currently have a way to do this, but can look into it if there is substantial interest


@Afghan Salon wrote:

Will there be a possiblity to use OSM (OpenStreetMaps) instead Bing Maps?


Currently Bing Maps and your Organizations directory are the only data sources available. This is so that we can guarantee that all the data processed stays within your organization


@Afghan Salon wrote:

Could You please give any visual exaple of using coordinates property.


Here is a list with Geo Coordinates:

Capture.PNG


@Kaiyan Liu wrote:

Is it available for classic SharePoint versions, like SP 2013 too?


This is only available in Modern SharePoint


@Adi Mader wrote:

Hi Jackson

Still can't see that option in our Office356 environement... do we need to do something to activate?

Role out has been a bit delayed. We are currently at 100% First Release Users and will be at 100% of First Release tenants tomorrow

I came back at the right time! Just tried it and it works great. I had a test list waiting to add this piece. Love it!

LocationSP.JPG

Well, we are very interested.  We have several contact lists that have separate fields for street address, city, state and zip and it would be great to be able to simply convert those to location columns based on the existing data.

Thanks for the enthusiasm!

 


@Becky Benishek wrote:

I came back at the right time! Just tried it and it works great. I had a test list waiting to add this piece. Love it!

LocationSP.JPG


 

The 'Map View' was one of the list view types that were available in Classic - I was hoping that this would have been modernized along with the Location column, but is this not the case?

There is certainly something wrong with these coordinates. Look at image. Polish Parliament is located in Warsaw, which is located east from Greenwich 0'. Therefore it should be E instead of W. How it's possible these coordinates are shown?coordinates.JPG

 

 

 

Hi

Still can't find the release in our instance of O365... delayed again?

Same for us.  Feature doesn't appear in list of column types.

Not working in our instance either

 

 


 

@James Jackson can you clarify on what "location data from [...] your organization directory" means? Where would such location data be stored and managed?

I don't see the Location column in my tenant either


@Afghan Salon wrote:

There is certainly something wrong with these coordinates. Look at image. Polish Parliament is located in Warsaw, which is located east from Greenwich 0'. Therefore it should be E instead of W. How it's possible these coordinates are shown?coordinates.JPG

 

 

 


It does look like the renderer for the geo coordinates are reversing East and West. We are working on a fix now. Thanks for finding the issue! We are working on a fix right now


@James Jackson wrote:

@Afghan Salon wrote:

There is certainly something wrong with these coordinates. Look at image. Polish Parliament is located in Warsaw, which is located east from Greenwich 0'. Therefore it should be E instead of W. How it's possible these coordinates are shown?coordinates.JPG

 

 

 


It does look like the renderer for the geo coordinates are reversing East and West. We are working on a fix now. Thanks for finding the issue! We are working on a fix right now


Hi @Afghan Salon,

 

We were able to find the issue with this last night and the fix is already in the pipeline, you can expect it in less than two weeks


@geraint james wrote:

The 'Map View' was one of the list view types that were available in Classic - I was hoping that this would have been modernized along with the Location column, but is this not the case?


We are looking at a few ways of integrating maps into the UI for the list. One implementation is in the works and may be ready by the time the product reaches production

Hi Everyone,

 

Thank you for your patience with the roll out of this feature. We found a few minor bugs in Targeted Release and wanted to fix them before pushing to production. I should have a new timeline for you in the next few days

@James JacksonGreat news, thanks for the update!

I am really liking this feature! A couple of questions, how does it pull our company directory information. I need to know where to ensure that the data is up-to-date. The next question, can you enter a GPS information and have it resolve, like for example capturing that data from a PowerApps users phone GPS location. 

@

@James Jackson We have a SharePoint list we are using to track Candidates to hire.  Distance from the client is an important differentiator.  Can we somehow use this location field to enter their address and be able to click on something to see where they are located on a map?  Currently we have to copy and paste their address into a browser to see where they are located. 

@James Jackson is there anyway to get a map view to display?

It is a same that the column doesn´t support looking up specific rooms through Room & Equipment mailboxes. As it would be useful to have a list of Rooms & Equipment that shows the room location (what building) and whether it is free or not.

@Bryndis wrote:
It is a same that the column doesn´t support looking up specific rooms through Room & Equipment mailboxes. As it would be useful to have a list of Rooms & Equipment that shows the room location (what building) and whether it is free or not.

It would be very helpful if SP calendars could book rooms, equipment, and attendees. 

What syntax should we use for entering locations that do not have a result in Bing (e.g. a coral reef in the middle of the ocean)?


@James Jackson wrote:


The column does support looking up specific rooms through Room & Equipment Mailboxes, but is only available in Modern Lists, so cannot be added to a calendar.

I'm testing with a modern list and it is not resolving my Room and Equipment Mailboxes.  Not sure if I'm missing a configuration for this. 

 

Also, does anyone know of a way to book these resources through a modern list? 

Hi @James Jackson,

we managed the most of our Content Types in the content type hub and I'd like to create a location column on the content type level, but I've found no proper type in the create a column form.

Isn't it possible to create a column type of location in the content type hub and roll out it to the system?

If so, are there any workarounds? (Except of adding it locally to each list..)

 

Regards,

Ingrid

Hi,

I suspect this will be a feature request, but it would be really useful if there was a way of using the current position as a default which could be accessed when using a list with this type of field on a phone.  I have 25 care workers visiting people at their houses and I would like to have a list for which I will create an app in powerapps for them to sign in and sign out.  Unfortunately some of the workers are claiming to be onsite longer than they actually have so the ability to insert this data automatically would be so very useful!

Love it!  Will definitely use this feature!

  1. I noticed that I cannot add the field to a PowerApp layout yet...  The related fields are available but not editable.
  2. Will we be able to add this column to site content types?  (I noticed that the Location type column does not show up when adding a column via the list settings screen.)
I haven't tried it yet, but here's something from github using JSON formatting to get to the Bing maps
https://github.com/SharePoint/sp-dev-list-formatting/tree/master/view-samples/retail-account
I've stored this link for months waiting for this column - glad it's finally here!
The location column does not work with the SharePoint mobile app. It doesn’t show the data put in that column entered from a PC browser and locks it as read only. Works great on pc browser but need it on mobile. Something special we need to do?
I noticed that too. Not available from list settings
Would the mobile sharepoint app support this field type?

@James Jackson Is there any way to enter mulitple street names in one location column?

[UPDATE]: I figured out that Microsoft Flow will show these errors if the SharePoint location column is set as required.  If I remove the requirement, then it works.  It's not ideal, but at least it's a workaround.  Is there a timeline for the location column functionality in other products?

 

 

@James Jackson - I love the new location column in SharePoint lists.  It makes it much more intuitive for people to add locations.

 

Does the new location column work with PowerApps and Flow?  I tried to update a list with a location column in Flow, but received an error that the data type is not supported.

 

I'm not trying to update the location column at all.  I just want to update the other fields.  I also created a view with the location column removed and chose to Limit Columns by View in the Update item action, but that didn't work either.