Onedrive readonly (green locks)

Copper Contributor

I've recently installed the latest preview build on the next-gen OneDrive client. I installed this version to test SharePoint document library syncing. I'm able to sync document libraries, but all folders and files appear to be read only on my laptop. I also see green lock icons instead of green checkmarks on all these files and folders. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I already tried to reset OneDrive and did a complete reinstall. Unfortunately I still see the green locks. I have these locks only with team sites. My personal OneDrive is working without problems.

2017-01-15_14-29-37.png

44 Replies

Try using One Drive for Business if you are trying to connect to company resources. 

Did you find an answer to this.  I have one user with the greed padlock and base on the link provided this could be due to versioning or a required field.  

However it is not occuring on other document libraires within the same team site that have required fields and no versioning.  The library we have issues with has no versioning but does have required fields.  Any thoughts?

-Mel

The green padlocks indicate that the SharePoint document library can only sync in read only mode. You cannot make changes to documents locally synced. In my case this behavior was caused by custom views in the document library. The SharePoint team site was deployed from a template that had customs view (extra columns) in the document library. After removing these custom views the green padlocks disappeared.

What strange is that it is occuring for one user.  And there is a second document library with the same columns that do not have the green locks

I believe this may be my problem as well. I have added some columns and metadata to two document libraries and now they are all locked when syncing. This is a real problem for me.....

The reason that OneDrive Client (testing with Version 2016 - Build 17.3.6917.0607) sets the files as read only and changes the icon from a green checkmark to a green padlock is that the SharePoint library has at least one of the following:

• Check In/Out functionality feature enabled
  • A column set as Required

See in the following sequence of images how the local OneDrive files change from writable to read only when Check In functionality in the source library is enabled.

Folder with files from a library with no check in enabledFolder with files from a library with no check in enabled

SharePoint library with no check in enabledSharePoint library with no check in enabled

SharePoint library with no check in enabled - Library SettingsSharePoint library with no check in enabled - Library Settings

SharePoint library with no check in enabled - Library Settings MenuSharePoint library with no check in enabled - Library Settings MenuSharePoint library with no check in enabled - Versioning SettingsSharePoint library with no check in enabled - Versioning SettingsSharePoint library with check in enabled - Versioning SettingsSharePoint library with check in enabled - Versioning SettingsSharePoint library with check in enabledSharePoint library with check in enabled

So, the solution to make the local OneDrive files writable is both:

• To disable Check In functionality in the source SharePoint library
  • To make all columns not Required

Our user has the same version of sync client however the green lock is still there even though the document library required check out is set to "no".  Strange.

Hi Melissa,

Can you replicate a test like the one I did and try to sync on that' user PC?

Does that library has custom fields?

Cheers,

Marco

@Deleted Do you have metadata that is "Required"?

If so, that would prevent the library from being unlocked when synced.

Hi Melissa,

I just updated my post. Seems that setting up a field as Required, causes the OneDrive files to set to read only.
Hi @Reuben,

I just tested that scenario and is totally true. Setting a field as Required, causes the local OneDrive files to be set as read only too.

The think is, I have 2 document libraries exactly the same. One stores active project documents and the other stores closed or legacy project documents.  Same metadata fields, same required fields only the legacy project document library has the green locks.....

@Deleted

Have you activated Content Approval in the library giving troubles, perhaps?

2017-06-28 14_49_40-Document Library Versioning Settings.jpg

Content Approval is set to no.  Could it have something to do with the Document Set Content type?

Can you do a side by side comparison (literally) of each setting page of the two libraries? That could get us a clue of another reason of the green padlock.

I was having the same problem, and determined it was because I had column validation on a custom field. By removing the "Column Validation"  as well as the "User Message", I am able to sync again.

2017-08-14_14-59-39.png

The locked read only files and folder started ONLY after change to Windows 10 - am using Sharepoint/Office 365 and Office 2016

The problem was a complete nightmare and have spent hours talking to Microsoft

Comments/pictures above really helpful

I set the following for each document library in Sharepoint

check in required - NO

Metadata (document type) required - NO

this worked and then I tested in reverse by turning the metadata as required - locks reappeared.  So reset and turned this off, synced again and all appears to be well

I did have to reinstsall One Drive as this stopped working but all seems good  nowSync 1.JPG

This is all correct but still very annoying in my opinion.

I would really like to have required metadata but still have the option to sync my library.