SOLVED

Delete Group but not Team

Copper Contributor

Whenever a new Team is created it automatically creates a Group. Initially deleting the Group does not delete the Team but all of a sudden the Teams are now also gone.

I'm not sure if our admin changed anything but I'm asking this community if they are aware of some setting which allows us to only have a Team without a Group?

5 Replies

No, I don't think so, they work hand in hand - Overview of Microsoft Teams:

"Microsoft Teams is built on existing Microsoft technologies woven together by Office 365 Groups."

Also, see Office 365 groups and Microsoft Teams.  This behaviour is mentioned in the known issues and is expected:

Known issues for Microsoft Teams.png

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Cian is right, you cannot have a stand alone Team. The reason why the group got deleted and it took awhile cause of just back end processes. When group is deleted it doesn't really get deleted goes into recycle bin etc. so the Team still references the object, then eventually cleanup job kills the Team too. Most of Teams has azure tie ins and mostly ties into Mailboxes with Exchange online and new Skype for Business stack.

You best bet, is just pretend the group isn't there and hide the addresses from the address list. But a group is def. requirement of a Team. You also get a SharePoint site with the group as well. 

Here is a very good info-graphic going over what gets created with each type of product you start from etc. 

groups.png

The Pic is so small. Can I download the file to view?

Ramsay,

I would ask you why you want to "delete the group". Are you planning on blocking great functions like attaching files to conversations? I would look deeper into taking advantage of the features of Office 365 Groups with Teams. You can always hide Private Groups from the GAL to avoid the email address of the group.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Cian is right, you cannot have a stand alone Team. The reason why the group got deleted and it took awhile cause of just back end processes. When group is deleted it doesn't really get deleted goes into recycle bin etc. so the Team still references the object, then eventually cleanup job kills the Team too. Most of Teams has azure tie ins and mostly ties into Mailboxes with Exchange online and new Skype for Business stack.

You best bet, is just pretend the group isn't there and hide the addresses from the address list. But a group is def. requirement of a Team. You also get a SharePoint site with the group as well. 

Here is a very good info-graphic going over what gets created with each type of product you start from etc. 

groups.png

View solution in original post