Azure AD Connect from on premises to Office 365 Business Premium

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

New to the forum so be gentle!

OK so I am about to setup a new 2016 on premises AD domain (they won't do Microsoft 365 Business) with 20 users and I would like to connect and sync users to their Office 365 Business Premium Tenant.

I have been testing in a lab situation and I know that I can connect Azure AD Connect and it will add any users in the on prem domain to Office 365 and if they match will reset their passwords.

What I am trying to achieve is to add a new user to on prem which then syncs to Office 365 , adds the user and then automatically assigns it to the correct groups with licenses. I have managed to add a group in Azure AD and when a user is added to that group at the Office 365 end automatically assigns whatever licences I require but can't seem to do it from the on prem end.

I read somewhere that this isn't possible but if not, is there any other way to achieve this (seemingly) simple and obvious requirement? Maybe some sort of Powershell CMDlet or something that can be run on the on prem server to add to the correct Office 365 Groups / Assign licenses after adding the user?

Let me know.

Thanks!

Alastair Ferguson

4 Replies

I'm assuming you are talking about the group-based licensing feature (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-licensing-whatis-azure-port...)? If so, you can certainly set up a group that is synced from AD for it, and add the user upon creation to it.

Alternatively, you can use a dynamic group: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-groups-dynamic-membership-a...

Hi Vasil,

Thanks for that.

It seems as though the dynamic Group is for Azure AD Premium T1 which the customer doesn't have.

I looked at Group Writeback and it seems that it requires Exchange on premises which the customer also doesn't have.

>>If so, you can certainly set up a group that is synced from AD for it, and add the user upon creation to it.

Can you point me in the direction of the documentation that explains how to do this please?

Thanks in advance,

Alastair

The steps are exactly the same, you simply point to an AD-synced group in the "group selection" pane.