Word keeps freezing when editing long document with heavy revisions

Copper Contributor

I'm checking the copy editor's edits on my most recent book. The document is about125,000 words long and all the edits have been done using "track changes", so I can see them and respond. On my home PC the document was freezing every time I made an edit. I kept getting "Not responding" and had to wait for a second or two before I could make the change. I opened the same document on my work laptop this morning: no problems at all!

Home PC is a 12 Gen Core i5-12600, 16GB of fast RAM, running of a fast SSD, with an Nvidia RTX 4070 card, running Windows 11. Work is a slightly less powerful laptop, running Windows 10. Same version of Word on both.

Any idea what might be causing this? I have up to date anti-virus on both computers and have checked for malware, etc.

Thanks, Jim

1 Reply

No one here can tell you exactly what is happening.

First, track changes to that extent makes for an extremely complex document file. What surprises me is that the document does not freeze on both.

Consider, on your home machine, if you do not need to track your own changes, turning off track changes.

Try opening Word in safe mode, as a diagnostic step, and see if it is any more nimble. It may be that an Add-In is slowing things down on your home computer.

Open Office apps in safe mode on a Windows PC - Microsoft Office