What is the right way to convert Word to PDF in bulk on a PC or Mac?

Copper Contributor

I am a Mac user and new to Windows 11.  Currently, I have a task that needs to convert more than 100+ Word documents (.docx) to PDFs. Doing this one by one would take too much time, so I'm looking for a way to convert them in bulk.

Does anyone know of a method or tool that can help me efficiently convert multiple Word documents to PDF format all at once? Ideally, I'm looking for a solution that's easy to use and saves me a lot of time. 

P.S. I have a Windows 11 laptop and MacBook Pro.

Thanks

9 Replies
Open the Word document from Word app and export its to PDF. This is the simplest way I can think up to convert Word to PDF file. However, you can only do this for one file at one time.

As a Mac user, you're probably used to relying on apps like Preview or Automator to get the job done. But, on Windows 11, you'll need a different approach. I'm a big fan of using the built-in tools whenever possible. And, in this case, Microsoft Word itself has a nifty feature that allows you to convert Word documents to PDF in bulk

Here's the trick: Open Microsoft Word, go to the "File" menu, and select "Save As". Then, choose "PDF" as the file type, and make sure the "Save as type" dropdown is set to "PDF". Now, here's the magic part: in the "Save as" window, click on the "Options" button next to the "Save as type" dropdown. In the "Save as PDF" dialog box, check the box that says "Save all files in subfolders".

@NaryshkinPowershell + Microsoft Office app. The two combination can help you bulk convert Word to PDF on any Windows PC, including Windows 11, Windows 10 and Windows 7.This approach automates the conversion process without manually opening each document. First, Microsoft Office should be installed on your computer, as the script will utilize Word's COM objects to perform the conversion.

Open Notepad and paste the following PowerShell script. This script will convert all .docx files in a specified folder to .pdf:

$word = New-Object -ComObject Word.Application
$word.Visible = $false

$folderPath = "C:\Path\To\Your\Word\Files"
$outputFolderPath = "C:\Path\To\Save\PDFs"

$files = Get-ChildItem -Path $folderPath -Filter *.docx

foreach ($file in $files) {
$doc = $word.Documents.Open($file.FullName)
$pdfFilename = [System.IO.Path]::ChangeExtension($file.Name, ".pdf")
$outputPath = Join-Path -Path $outputFolderPath -ChildPath $pdfFilename
$doc.SaveAs([ref] $outputPath, [ref] 17) # 17 corresponds to the wdFormatPDF format
$doc.Close()
}

$word.Quit()

The script loops through each .docx file in the designated input folder, converts it to PDF, and saves it in the output folder. The script ensures that the Word application is closed after the conversion to prevent any resource leaks. Save this script with a .ps1 extension, for example, ConvertWordToPDF.ps1.

Run the PowerShell script from the Command Prompt by typing the following command and pressing Enter:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "C:\Path\To\ConvertWordToPDF.ps1"

This method provides a straightforward way to batch convert Word documents to PDF using command-line tools on Windows 11.

Adobe Acrobat can help you do what you want. This tool offer more advanced features and customization options for converting Word documents to PDFs in bulk.

For example, Adobe Acrobat allows you to create a batch file that converts multiple Word documents to PDFs with a single click. You can also set up custom settings for each conversion, such as layout, font styles, and encryption.

@Aarav325 Adobe Acrobat can be considered expensive for personal use or small teams, especially if you need its full suite of features. Adobe Acrobat's subscription plans start at around $12.99 per month for individuals and can go higher for teams or businesses. Over time, these costs can add up.

If you're looking for more affordable or free alternatives to batch convert Word file to PDF, there are many free or cheaper alternatives out there. They also provide many of the features you might need from Adobe Acrobat at a lower cost.

WPS Office as a powerful tool for bulk convert Word documents to PDF on Windows, I'm excited to share my experience with you on how to use WPS Office to convert Word files to PDFs in bulk on a Windows.

1.  Head over to the WPS Office website, download and install the free version (WPS Office Free), and then launch WPS Office.

2.  Create a new folder where you'll store your Word documents that need conversion to PDF. And go to the folder and select multiple Word documents (.docx) by holding the Ctrl key while clicking on each file.

3.  Drag the selected files into the WPS Office interface (Writer tab). Click on the "Convert" button at the top-right corner of the screen and select "Convert to PDF" from the dropdown menu.

4. In the "Convert to PDF" window, you can adjust settings like page layout, orientation, and security. Click "Start" to begin the conversion process. WPS Office will convert your selected Word documents to PDFs in bulk.

LibreOffice Writer is a free and open-source word processing program that is part of the LibreOffice suite. It is similar to Microsoft Word and offers a wide range of features for creating, editing, and formatting text documents. It is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Yes, you can use LibreOffice Writer to convert Word documents to PDF. Here’s how you can do it:

1. Launch LibreOffice Writer.
  2. Open your Word document (.doc or .docx) in LibreOffice Writer by selecting File > Open and navigating to your document.
  3. Once the document is open, go to File > Export As > Export as PDF.
  4. A dialog box will appear with various options for the PDF export. You can adjust settings such as the range of pages, image resolution, and more.
  5. Click Export, choose the location where you want to save the PDF, and click Save.
If you're new to Powershell, you might find it overwhelming to navigate the complex syntax and commands. This can lead to mistakes, errors, and even security risks. Personally, using Powershell to Word to PDF on Windows PC is not a wise choice.
Although LibreOffice Writer is compatible with most Microsoft Word document formats (.doc and .docx), it may not perfectly replicate the original formatting, especially if the document contains complex layouts, tables, or graphics. You may need to adjust the formatting manually.

If you're looking for a more precise and feature-rich conversion experience, you may want to consider using dedicated PDF conversion software like Adobe Acrobat or third-party tools specifically designed for this purpose.