SOLVED

Steam games freezing computer - Need assistance

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my computer freezing whenever I run Steam games. I have tried a number of troubleshooting steps such as updating drivers, checking for malware, verifying game files, and reinstalling the games themselves, but nothing seems to be working.

Here are my computer specs:

• Device name: MS-7C37
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
  • Installed RAM: 32.0 GB
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

I have also contacted Microsoft support, and they were not able to resolve the issue. They suggested that I post my issue here on the Insider forum in the hopes that someone else has encountered a similar issue or can offer further assistance.

If anyone has any suggestions or has encountered a similar issue, please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help.

6 Replies
You are not alone. Latest two builds starting from 25346 completely broke Steam - my PC becomes unresponsive or BSODS as soon as I open Steam or try downloading anything. Reddit is also full of posts from people saying this issue is not uncommon. Hopefully, it will get fixed soon.
I can open steam I just cant run any games (except Big Ambitions) but running apps are fine
best response confirmed by LiamWWHR (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@LiamWWHR 

I have reported this and got a reply. 

FireTiger_0-1684144096477.png

The issue is resolved in the new build!

I opened a game on steam and it did not freeze.

Ok so I am now back from that game and tried a different game(PC Building Simulator) and it froze so at least I have one more working game I guess we will wait for the next insider build.

-LiamWWHR

I understand that you're facing a frustrating issue with your computer freezing when running Steam games. To address this problem, you can follow these steps:

1. **Check System Requirements**: Ensure that your computer meets the system requirements for the Steam games you are trying to play. Some games may demand more resources than your system can provide.

2. **Update Graphics Drivers**: Visit the NVIDIA website and download the latest drivers for your GeForce RTX 3070. Outdated graphics drivers can often cause performance issues in games.

3. **Monitor Temperature**: Overheating can lead to system freezes. Use software like MSI Afterburner or HWMonitor to monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures while gaming. Ensure your system is adequately cooled, and the fans are functioning properly.

4. **Power Supply Unit (PSU)**: Check if your power supply can handle the load of your system, especially with a high-end GPU like the RTX 3070. An insufficient PSU can cause instability.

5. **BIOS Update**: Make sure your motherboard's BIOS is up to date. Sometimes, manufacturers release BIOS updates that can improve system stability.

6. **Background Applications**: Close any unnecessary background applications while gaming. These applications can consume system resources and affect game performance.

7. **RAM Testing**: Perform a memory test to ensure your RAM is functioning correctly. Faulty RAM can lead to freezes. You can use Windows Memory Diagnostic for this.

8. **Windows Updates**: Ensure your Windows operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Microsoft often releases updates that can improve system stability.

9. **Steam Client**: Verify that your Steam client is also up to date. Outdated clients can sometimes cause game-related issues.

10. **Game Launch Options**: In the Steam library, right-click on the game, select Properties, and add launch options if necessary. Some games benefit from specific launch parameters.

11. **Software Conflicts**: Check if any other software is conflicting with Steam games. Antivirus or third-party monitoring applications can sometimes interfere. Try disabling or temporarily uninstalling them to see if it makes a difference.

12. **Network Issues**: Sometimes, network-related problems can cause game freezes. Ensure a stable and high-speed internet connection, as some games require constant online access.

13. **Seek Technical Support**: If the issue persists, consider reaching out to Steam's technical support or the game's support team for assistance. They may have specific troubleshooting steps for the game in question.

Remember to back up your important data and files before making any significant changes to your system. These steps should help identify and resolve the freezing issue you're experiencing with Steam games. If the problem persists, consulting a professional technician may be necessary to diagnose and fix any hardware-related issues.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LiamWWHR (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@LiamWWHR 

I have reported this and got a reply. 

FireTiger_0-1684144096477.png

View solution in original post