Youtube freeze on full screen when i use microsoft EDGE

Copper Contributor

I reinstalled my OS yesterday,it is up to date.

I use the latest gpu driver.

My PC configuration:

I7 10700k

32 gb ram

RX 6800 xt

Windows 11 64 bits.

When i try to skip a moment from a video on youtube and im on fullscreen the image freeze but the sound still work. After like 4-5 seconds it is recovering.

I even disabled hardware accelerator from Edge and the problem is still there. I deleted the cache too and reset all the edge settings.

All the extensions i had turned on i disabled them so the problem it is not from there.

Any more suggestions ?

12 Replies

Hi @MariusAndrei,

Here are some additional suggestions to try to fix the issue :

• Try disabling the "Load Media Router Component Extension" flag in Edge. To do this, open Edge and enter edge://flags/ in the address bar. Press Enter and then search for "Load Media Router Component Extension". Click on the drop-down menu next to the flag and select "Disabled". Restart Edge and see if the problem persists.
  • Try updating your graphics driver to the latest version. You can download the latest driver from the AMD website.
  • Try disabling the "Hardware-accelerated video decode" feature in Edge. To do this, open Edge and go to Settings > System and performance. Scroll down to the "Advanced system settings" section and click on "Graphics settings". Under "Hardware-accelerated video decode", select "Disabled". Restart Edge and see if the problem persists.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic

Hi @MariusAndrei ,

Here are a few more suggestions you could try:

1. Update Microsoft Edge: Ensure that your Microsoft Edge browser is up to date1. This is important as updates often come with bug fixes.

2. Use Software Rendering: You could try using software rendering instead of GPU rendering2. To do this:

• Close Edge Browser.
    • Go to Control Panel > Internet Options.
    • Select the ‘Advanced’ tab at the top.
    • Tick ‘Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering*’, then click OK.
    • Re-open Edge Browser.
  3. Reinstall Microsoft Edge: If none of the above solutions work, you might consider reinstalling Microsoft Edge.

Remember to restart your computer after trying these solutions to ensure the changes take effect. If the problem persists, it might be a good idea to report this issue to Microsoft via the Feedback Hub app in Windows 11. They might be able to provide a more specific solution

Could you do anything about it? I have the exact same phenomenon, however, I have it using Opera and also using Firefox. But what I have in common with you is the Radeon GPU.... and there were new drivers, so this is my suspicion right now.
Are you facing the same issue in you open the Microsoft Edge in InPrivate browsing mode?
Have you tried Clean Boot , to see if the problem persists?
Have a look at:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...

@Reza_AmeriNo, I did not try that, yet. Thanks for the hint, I will check it out.

You're welcome, please check and let us know about the result.

@Reza_Ameri 

I have fixed the issue - however it took me a while. The reason was the bugged Adrenalin 23.9.3 driver from AMD. I rolled back to an older version and now everything works fine again. Should consider NVIDIA next time. :\ 

Thank you for the update.
Make sure report this issue using the Feedback Hub app.
Have the same issue, also amd graphic card, ig amd gpu is the cause
Go and try another web browser with different rending engine, such as Firefox.

@YYYoung 

I highly recommend trying a roll back to a former Adrenalin driver version. 

Sounds like you've already tried a bunch of the usual fixes! Since disabling hardware acceleration, clearing the cache, and disabling extensions didn't do the trick, it might be an issue with your graphics drivers. Sometimes, if they're outdated or if there's a glitch, it can cause video playback problems like the one you're seeing. Try updating your graphics drivers to the latest version available from your graphics card manufacturer's website. If that doesn't sort it out, you could also try a different browser entirely to see if the issue is specific to Edge. If the problem vanishes in another browser, it might indeed be something funky with Edge itself.