Windows 11 won't sleep automatically

Copper Contributor

I have installed a fresh copy of Win 11 Pro and noticed that although I set the pc to switch off monitor and then goes to sleep, it is not doing so. The monitor tries to switch off but as soon as it goes off, it switches back on. I checked the drivers and all are up to date. Graphics card (GTX 4060 Ti) has the latest driver from nvidia website. I also checked that the network is set to allow the pc to sleep.

Then, I found a tip online to disconnect the keyboard and mouse and set them to another usb port. I tried that, but still the same problem. However, then I tried to disconnected them without plugging  them in again, and the pc went to sleep. Then I checked whether it's the keyboard or the mouse that's causing the problem but even if only one of them was connected to the pc, still the pc didn't go to sleep. 

I'm using a wireless Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Keyboard and a wireless Razer Basilisk V3 X Hyperspeed mouse. They are both connected to their respective USB dongle (2.4GHz).

Hope that this can be solved.

6 Replies
Open Device Manager, right click your display device/driver, and select Properties. Switch to Power Management tab, check 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option. See if that helps you.
Thanks for your reply. The power mode is set to balanced and the monitor is set to switch off after 3 minutes and the computer to sleep after 10 mins. As soon as the monitor switches off after 3 minutes, it turns back on immediately. When I set the computer to sleep manually it works fine.
The things that seems to prevent the pc to sleep are the wireless keyboard and mouse, since when I disconnect them from the USB, then the PC goes to sleep. But of course it's not practical to do that.
I also noticed that while I'm not logged-in in Windows, just before entering my pin, the pc can go to sleep normally.
Hi and thanks for your reply, but I did. The wireless keyboard and mouse seem to prevent the PC from going to sleep. Because when I did disconnet the dongles from the USB port, then the PC did switch off the monitor after the set time. However, I can keep disconnecting the mentioned devices - not practical
If yourre feeling adventurous, you can check the Event Viewer for any logs that might indicate what caused the wake. Go to Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System, and look for entries under "Power-Troubleshooter" to see what might be waking your PC.

@Philipess thanks for your reply. However, I can't find Power Troubleshooter under Windows Logs > System. Lately I noticed that it was going to sleep automatically, but now back to not being able to sleep!!

It sounds like your PC's sleep issue could be caused by your wireless peripherals. Even though you've updated your drivers and checked your sleep settings, the problem persists when either the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort keyboard or the Razer Basilisk V3 X mouse is connected via their USB dongles. Since the PC sleeps fine when both devices are disconnected, the wireless devices might be sending intermittent signals that prevent the system from entering sleep mode. You could try updating the firmware for both devices or changing the power management settings for the USB ports to prevent them from waking the PC. If that doesn’t help, using a different set of wired peripherals temporarily may further isolate the issue.