Windows 11 Updating AMD Graphics

Copper Contributor

I'm having an issue where Windows Update keeps updating my graphics driver with the Microsoft driver. I've turned the device installation setting to "No," but Windows keeps updating the graphics driver thus I cannot access the AMD performance app cause the AMD software conflicts with the generic Windows driver.

Is there another way to prevent Windows from updating my graphics card and only allow AMD to update it?

27 Replies

@Leroy_Dartagnan 

Usually it's because you have the wrong driver, and you haven't downloaded the latest one from the AMD site (it's never going to try to replace it if you have the latest one.)

https://www.amd.com/en/support

I normally keep all of my apps and software up to date so that's not the problem. There's a conflict between the "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 26.20.14048.2" update and every AMD update so far.

If I install the latest AMD update the micro update appears in Windows Update as a pending install. When I install the micro update the AMD control panel gives me an error message and won't open.

@Leroy_Dartagnan

Change the following settings, and try running the script at the bottom of this post...

1.) Settings -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options ->

1A.) Receive updates for other Microsoft products (off)

1B.) Get me up to date (off)

1C.) Download updates over metered connections (off)

1D.) Notify me when a restart is required to finish updating (off)

2.) Settings -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> Delivery Optimization ->

2A.) Allow downloads from other PCs (off)

3.) Accounts -> Sign-in options ->

3A.) Automatically save my restartable apps and restart them when I sign back in (off)

3B.) Show account details such as my email address on the sign-in screen (off)

3C.) Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up after an update (off)

4.) Start Powershell -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

./sc config EventLog start= auto;./sc config UsoSvc start= auto;./sc config wuauserv start= auto;./net start EventLog;./net start UsoSvc;./net start wuauserv;
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth;
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase;
DISM /Cleanup-Mountpoints;
./SFC /SCANNOW;

Note: The first line enables Windows Update (as well as other services Windows Update needs to be able to function.) The second line is really to restore the image, while it can replace missing operating system components, the third line removes superseded components after updating as well as finalizing the updates so they cannot be uninstalled, with the fourth line cleaning up leftovers from partially mounted images in an unrecoverable state, while the fifth line replaces missing or corrupt files (sure it's slightly more complex, but this explanation is probably good enough.)

DISM should have cleared the Windows Update Cache at this point, which is located in this folder: %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

"Clean Up the WinSxS Folder" -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/clean-up-the-winsxs-folder?vie...

@Leroy_Dartagnan 

If you didn't install the wrong driver package from the AMD site, then you may have to look for this driver within the driver store and manually remove it once you have reinstalled the latest drivers (it could be a series of drivers.) I doubt you would need to do this...

This is the path where the files for the drivers are physically located, but you STILL have to use PnPUtil to uninstall them: %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers

Launch the Command Prompt -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\CMD.EXE -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

REM Create a list currently installed drivers on the Desktop
pnputil /enum-drivers > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\driverlist.txt"

The associated driver names will be listed in the above file as: Published Name: <oem#.inf>

Once you have created the list, you can copy old drivers that are associated with the GPU from the list, into another text file, and then manually create a command line entry for each one to remove them from the Windows Driver Store.

REM Remove a driver from an Online Windows Image
pnputil /delete-driver <oem#.inf> /force

"PnPUtil Command Syntax: Legacy Command Mapping" -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/pnputil-command-syntax#legacy-comm...

You ALSO have to check to see if each GPU driver is listed as a service within this registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services", and delete any leftover entries accordingly via Regedit or Powershell.

Launch Powershell -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

dir "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" | Format-Table -Property Name

@Leroy_Dartagnan 

I have no idea what GPU you have, so it could be any one from this list...

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Advanced%20Micro%20Devices%2C%20Inc.%20-%20Di...

Use Expand to extract the CAB and MSU files, to locate the original INF files to compare with what is already installed (so you know what to remove.)

"Expands one or more compressed files. You can also use this command to retrieve compressed files from distribution disks." -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/expand

Start the Command Prompt -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\CMD.EXE -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

For example, you download hotfix 934307. The Windows6.0-KB934307-x86.msu file is in the C:\934307 folder. You type the following command at a command prompt to expand the .msu file to a temporary folder:

expand -f:* "C:\934307\Windows6.0-KB934307-x86.msu" %TEMP%

"Description of the Windows Update Standalone Installer in Windows" -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/description-of-the-windows-update-standalone-installer-in-...

@Mousefluff 

I'm still having issues. I'm not into editing the like the registry because I'm not an expert in software stuff. I've included a screenshot of the graphics card properties. It's now saying the amd driver and software versions don't match. 

@Leroy_Dartagnan

I literally have no idea what type of laptop you have (make and model.) There are so many that have an integrated Vega 3 GPU. I can't actually give you much help, other than to suggest using the auto-detect installer, or a driver from the vendor's website (if it's an all-in-one laptop.) It would give you the exact same driver in most cases, so this can't hurt for now at least -> https://www.amd.com/en/support

EDIT: If you use this method, it often has chipset drivers bundled in with the graphics driver. If that doesn't work then you need the make and model of the laptop, and to manually enter in the values using the list-box on that page (which most likely is going to give you the same result anyways.)

Same problem, both Win 10 & 11. I have a Tongfang based laptop with AMD 5800H and Nvidia RTX3070.

If I install latest AMD graphics drivers 30.x.x.x and replug in the internet, windows WILL go and download 27.20.21018.0 and overwrite the newer driver. Please fix!!
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1638&SUBSYS_11111D05&REV_C5

Anyone have a solution?  I too have the same problem running a laptop with built-in Radeon graphics on 4500u processor......

Similar problem here a 1,5 year ago... Just the hardware is AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx and Nvidia GTX1660 ti. This is in an ASUS TUF FX505DU laptop.

Windows update are constantly downgrading an older version...
Actually you are SERIOUSLY incorrect as I have an Acer aspire 515-43 as my second laptop to my Nitro 5 and if I download the latest ryzen drivers from the site everything is absolutely perfect and I can customise the gaming graphics perfectly but Microsoft Windows 11 update keeps downloading the micro drivers which totally destroys the whole ryzen installation and then I get the splash screen from rise and saying that the current drivers are incompatible and I need to do a complete hard reset and so I go back to ryzen and I download the correct drivers for my system and everything is tickety boo and then 5 minutes later Microsoft come up with this stupid update of micro drivers and destroy the whole installation yet again and there is absolutely no way to stop it.

May I also say I had the same as you on an old HP laptop with AMD drivers where Microsoft words download the incorrect drivers but on that installation I could at least hide the updates but on Windows 11 it is absolutely insane that it muscles it's way into my system and totally destroys the graphics drivers. This needs to be brought to the attention of whoever is in charge of this insane update for Microsoft products, all spoken with warm respect but full-on 100% frustration at people who think they know everything. Listen to the users on the frontline

Stephanie

@Leroy_Dartagnani am facing the same problem with AMD driver , using a asus rog strix. when downloading the driver from AMD site , it goes fine for some days then shows the compatibility issues.

Usually, it is because MS does not want to fix its OS. I download the latest drivers every 4-5 days, and windows keep downgrading my drivers. This is not a problem with AMD, but just MS. Like MS start with a great idea, and everything burns to dust after a while. Remember Windows 10/mobile. I do not understand why the developers keep slapping new UI over old crappy code. When will we have a stable operating system? I am sorry for my rant. Seriously, an average user comes to report a bug, and the first response is that we did something wrong, and we get instructions of a workaround of a bug that has been present for over a year. Now, if MS were a small open source project on GitHub, I would understand... but this is not the case.

@Mousefluff  I do have the latest AMD driver and from my reading The MS driver bricks the AMD software. I am now missing Windows 11 updates because of this (I paused updates). Microsoft needs to move this to optional updates, not required updates.

I am using Dell SE5505 with Ryzen5 4600H cpu and 5600M gpu. I am always running updated latest AMD drivers (Adrenalin 22.2.2 / Adrenalin 21.10.2). But similarly as with other users, windows update will install Advance micro devices display update and my system will get blue screen and reeboot. This update is my ruining my GPU drivers. I tried to stop this auto update by disabling device installation settings under hardware tab of Advanced System settings and also tried prevent installation of device under Group Policies settings. But nothing works actually, windows will still download Advance micro devices and make my system usable.When i was looking for solution on google, I was surprised to find that this issue persist since more than year or maybe longer for many user's. This is scary since it doesn't seem to that major of an bug to disable but it's still here. And I gave multiple tries to disable the update using aforementioned methods and updating to the latest drivers. Still Advance micro systems update prevails and kills my system. Kindly Help!!.
@Tkosh65 please help me with an temporary fix. Thankyou.

@Khash420 

Luckily I was able to remove the downloaded driver so it never installed even though Windows update had already downloaded it. Get the update manager for Windows by Dave Xanatos. The current filename is WuMgr_v1.1b. Start that up click on the windows update button upper left then look bottom left. You can leave auto update on or you can actually disable it and handle updates with this program OR you can leave auto update on and uncheck the include drivers box. As soon as I unchecked the include drivers box that driver was gone from the ready to install queue thankfully.

The only solution I see in resolving this issue is Microsoft stop forcing PCs to update to the generic software. I'm not about to dive deep into my PC's settings to root anything because I will probably mess something up and brick my PC. I want a fix from Microsoft that will allow my graphics card to do it's thing without constantly being overwritten by Windows Update. Every time I update my computer, Windows Update replaces the up-to-date AMD driver with whatever Windows offers. So, I update my PC, go to the AMD website and download their driver tool, reinstall the up-to-date AMD software, and then pause Windows Update for 5 weeks. It's very annoying, but the process works.

As of 04/14/2022 I am also/still experiencing the same issues on a Asus Rog Strix - Ryzen9 5900 + Nvidia rtx 3060 laptop...

The original amd radeon software installed from factory had issues where you couldn't even update it from the App itself - there was no update button...So i downloaded the "latest" amd adrenaline auto/detect installer. Tried installing, gave me a few microsoft vcredist errors; then proceeded to repairing the c++ packages which then stopped giving me errors to install the AMD software installer.

Finally installed the new updated AMD software and drivers, an update button finally appeared, along with more settings...then a few days later I try to open the software which has auto reverted to an older version and would not open - giving me another error.

I've already tried all the the simple stuff to try to fix these issues, and I definitely don't want to do all that extra stuff...

These bugs are starting to really grind me gears, especially since it's such an easy fix without having to hack your computer...What's the point of collecting feedback if it's never read or used I don't get it...