Windows 11 crashes PC after updating ram from 32GB to 128 GB

Copper Contributor

When I installed 128 GB of RAM, windows 11 crashes and shuts off the PC. There is no blue or black box as the PC shuts down. I have upgraded the BIOS and the TPM is set properly. The MB is an Asrock z590 extreme, the RAM is by Corsair. No other changes were made except for the RAM. Windows 11 became corrupted and I couldn't reinstall it as the same behavior occurred.

UPDATE: I tried dropping to Windows 10 install, but it crashed the same with 128 GB RAM. I dropped down to 64 GB and installed Windows 11 as new install and has only shut the PC down once. It looks like 128 GB isn't possible with my hardware / RAM vendor.

5 Replies

@Palomine 

I have the same problem. I upgraded my Windows 11 desktop PC from 2x8GB RAM DDR4 Corsair Vengeance PRO to 4x32GB RAM DDR4 Vengeanse LPX.

First boot all normal until BSOD with message: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT,

Then I tried to restart and see if there were drivers that needed an update, but the system will give me BSOD again, and I could not edit anything.

I shut it down again (just pressing on/off button will shut it down instantly), and I turned it on again but with only 1x32GB RAM. Then the system booted and got stuck with the message "PREPARING AUTOMATIC REPAIR" forever. I do not know what to do. All messages thrown were ultra ambiguous (I googled all of them and I just found suggested adjustments that you can do inside Windows, but I am stuck not being able to enter my session).

Any advice microsoft team/advisors?

Thanks

@sandbeach123 did you figured out anything? 

@Palomine 

Hi I have a similar issue. 

A. Mem tested memory individually.  No errors.

B. As long as I use A2/B2 with either set of 32x2 the system is up and running no errors.

C. Tested processor with no errors

D. Motherboard tested no errors

With all sticks in I think it could be a problem  with the Intel VMD drivers.  Since that closely ties the NVME to the processor if it gets memory mapping incorrect it can make it appear like the hard drive is bad.   Hence all the weird errors that pop up once the sticks are installed because it can't correctly map the data back to the running process.  

Recent Build

Rog Maximus Hero Z790

Gen 5 1650 Watt Power

I9 13000K

GeForce 3090 Ti x 2

Gskill 6000 32x2 and another 32x2 that I can't install

It would be great if some big guns could take a look and help solve this problem.

Thank you in advance for your help. It is appreciated.

@WRW96 

So folks.  Here is what you have to do.  

It appears that there is a speed issue when you add an additional two Dimms.  The processor, motherboard and memory begin to operate in quad channel.  This means the processor can access all four sticks simultaneously.  This is my theory.  The processor while it's a beast can't operate as fast as is needed to handle the speed of 4 simultaneous sticks of ram at 6000mhz.  It could be a board issue or a processor issue which could get fixed with an updated bios possibly.  I don't think it's a memory problem because when tested in dual channel 6000mhz speeds (2 Dimms) there were no errors on either set.  It only occurred when using 4 Dimms.  Also, it did appear at the hardware level before even booting into windows. 

STOP:  Do this before adding 4 sticks or you will have to reinstall your operating system if it cannot be repaired.  The reason is once it starts throwing all the errors with 4 sticks it's also corrupting your storage device.  This was tested and it's difficult to do repairs.  If this did happen once you follow the steps below you can do an in-place upgrade, so it does not remove all your apps.

After experimenting with memory timings, controller voltages ...... and a lot of other testing here is what you do. 

Step down the memory timing say from 6000mhz to 5600mhz.  Then run a memory tester for at least 4 passes.  It will likely fail. As soon as you get an error stop the test and lower your speed to 5400mhz. 

Repeat these steps until you can run 4 passes without a single error. I had to go from 6000mhz down to 5000mhz to get things stable. 

Once there you are all set to boot into the operating system.  Keep an eye out for the weird errors again.  You may need to slow it down just a little more. 

If you're like me, I corrupted the windows sys files.  I used sfc and DISM to try and repair but files where to far corrupted.  What I did is download the ISO file for my version of windows. Mounted it and then did an in-place upgrade.  

System has been operating correctly for a couple of days.  I may open support cases with ASUS, Intel and GSkill to see if there is something that can be done so their stuff works together properly so others can forego that pain. If anyone has some connections in these spaces maybe, you could get a discussion going around this problem.  

Hope this helps others out there with the same issue. 

Happy New Year!