SOLVED

Windows 11 22h2 enabling Hyper-V cause BSOD

Copper Contributor

Hi,

When enabling Hyper-V on Windows 22H2 fresh install (not an upgrade), I've got an WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR or an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error on first restart (depending on having install last windows updates or not).

BIOS and all firmwares (ssd, thunderbolt, dock, ...) are updated.

Double checked hardware (cpu, ram, ssd, nvme bus, ethernet), all ok

Tested with Microsoft drivers only and with last version of manufacturer drivers (Lenovo).

I have tried to proceed Hyper-V servicing directly at install, BSOD on second reboot (after peripheral installation).

Tried also dock unplugged.

Each fresh tested install (at least 6 !) was done on a wiped disk (no volume).

Windows Enterprise used from business editions ISO.

I have no problem with Windows 10 22H2 nor Windows 11 21H2.

If I enable Hyper-V on those systems first then do an in-place upgrade, the first reboot remains stucked with a frozen circle, no BSOD (waiting for over an hour).

Any ideas are welcomed (forget sfc /scannow and those kind of things ;) )

13 Replies

@C-Fou 

Same problem on my Lenovo X1 Extreme. I also used a new system ssd and installed 22H2 from an iso.

After some faulty restarts the machine runs in auto-repair and booting results in an running os without hyper-V services enabled. 

The other ssd runs on 21H2 with hyper-V without any problems. 

looking for a solution....

@C-Fou 

Hi there, let me give this a shot. Based on the information provided, it appears that you're experiencing a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error when enabling Hyper-V on a fresh install of Windows 11 22H2. This could be caused by various issues, including hardware problems, outdated drivers, or conflicts between different software components.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check for Windows updates: Make sure your system is up-to-date with the latest Windows updates. This can help ensure that any known issues or bugs have been addressed. To check for updates, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.

2. Check for driver updates: Make sure all your device drivers are up-to-date. You can check for driver updates in Device Manager or by visiting the manufacturer's website. Install the latest drivers and try enabling Hyper-V again.

3. Run a memory diagnostic: A WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD can sometimes indicate a problem with your system's memory. You can run a memory diagnostic by going to Start > Windows Administrative Tools > Windows Memory Diagnostic.

4. Disable other virtualization software: If you have other virtualization software installed on your system, such as VMware or VirtualBox, try disabling them before enabling Hyper-V. Sometimes, conflicts between different virtualization programs can cause BSOD errors.

5. Check your BIOS settings: Ensure your BIOS settings are configured correctly for Hyper-V. Check that virtualization support is enabled in your BIOS, and make any necessary changes to ensure compatibility with Hyper-V.

If none of these steps work, you may need to consider a more advanced troubleshooting approach or seek help from a professional technician. It's also possible that the issue is related to a hardware problem, such as a faulty CPU or RAM, which may require replacement.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.... but, have you read my original post, more than the title, I mean ?
As I said :
All my tests were from fresh install, so no other virtualization software.
I have double check my hardware (cpu, ram, ssd, nvme bus, ethernet) with no issue.
Hyper-V is working with Windows 10 all versions and Windows 11 21H2, so no UEFI miss configuration.

Before installation, all firmwares (uefi, ssd, thunderbolt, dock, ...) have been updated.

Installations tested :
1- Fresh install to wiped disk with no previous partition present + Windows Drivers only
2- Fresh install to wiped disk with no previous partition present + Windows Drivers only + All Windows updates
3- Fresh install to wiped disk with no previous partition present + Fully updated drivers (from Lenovo)
4- Fresh install to wiped disk with no previous partition present + Fully updated drivers (from Lenovo) + All Windows Updates
5- Fresh install to wiped disk with no previous partition present + Unattend file to enable Hyper-V during installation + Windows Driver
6- Fresh install to wiped disk with no previous partition present + Unattend file to enable Hyper-V during installation + Fully updated drivers (from Lenovo) during setup
7- Fresh install to wiped disk with no previous partition present of Windows 11 21H2 + Windows Drivers + All Windows updates + Enable Hyper-V (without any problem here) + in-place upgrade to Windows 11 22H2.

8- Fresh install to wiped disk with no previous partition present with dock unplugged, I don't remember which drivers was used nor if Windows updates were applied.

The installations 1 to 4 and 8 crashed on first reboot after having enable Hyper-V, final result is come back to original state without Hyper-V enabled. The installations 5 to 6 crashed after second reboot (after drivers installation and before entering OOBE), installation KO. The Installation 7 crashed during in-place upgrade after "I don't remember how much reboot" but went back to 21H2.

Since Hyper-V is fully functionnal in Windows 10 and Windows 11 21H2. I think the problem is more on 22H2 side. There may be an hardware compatibility issue since @dieterp0203 has the same problem with another Lenovo model. But if it is, this would be more "Lenovo wide". I don't know what exactly changed in Hyper-V 22H2, but Microsoft can resolve this for sure.

@C-Fou 

I took all the actions what C-Fou already mentioned. Additionally, I did the Lenovo Hardware Scan for all installed hardware components. Hyper-V is enabled, other BIOS settings are on standard values. Hyper-V runs on 21H2 on the same machine. 

Question to Mark_Albin: What do you mean with: "...and make any necessary changes to ensure compatibility with Hyper-V."

Next step for me: Checking out the Oracle-Stuff...

regards, Dieter

short update: Virtual Box did it! Next step: converting all the VHDs to Virtual box...
It probably does ;) unfortunally, I need Hyper-V.
best response confirmed by OrinThomas (Microsoft)
Solution

Since no one gave a solution, I reply to my own question to help people who may have the same problem.

I seems many people go into Windows 11 22H2 madness, despite last updates of everything I could done, I was keeping those weird BSOD, with error changing between installations without any reason.

In my case, the Kernel DMA Protection in the UEFI Setup was responsible of it. I needed to disable it in order to boot with Hyper-V. I am not able to enable it again after Hyper-V installation correctly done. If so, I go into BSOD again...

thanks to this thread on hp forum :
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Inaccessible-Boot-Device-BSOD-a...

This UEFI setting seems causing many problems with this Windows version, with Lenovo, HP or Dell, in some cases it even prevent to install Windows with BSOD of first or second reboot.

I hope this help

@C-Fou 

Many thanks to you!!!!

Since today, hyper-V is running on my system. 

BIOS --> Security --> Virtualisation --> DMA Protection --> Disable --> Save and restart

Best regards, Dieter

Thank you very much @C-Fou - this solved a problem that had me flummoxed on one of my ThinkPads.
same here, lenovo x390, bootloop after enabling hyper v, end up restoring OS

@jarochodaman, have you tried to disable Kernel DMA Protection ? if not, look above @dieterp0203 message, he gave the way to do it in UEFI Setup. Verify you have the last version for your UEFI (BIOS) too

Excellent solution, have a Lenovo P52 with 128gb RAM so when it crashed adding hyper-v was worried it had found some sort of error that earlier versions ignored as that would have been expensive, was a clean build on a 4tb NVME PCIE-4 and thought maybe that was the issue as Laptop is to PCIE-3. Anyway thanks, this saved me a lot of time, disabled Memory Protection on Security menu, not called DMA in my BIOS.
I had night mares about sticking with Windows 10 or using Virtual Box, VM Ware Workstation or Windows 2022 with desktop experience. Life saver post.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by OrinThomas (Microsoft)
Solution

Since no one gave a solution, I reply to my own question to help people who may have the same problem.

I seems many people go into Windows 11 22H2 madness, despite last updates of everything I could done, I was keeping those weird BSOD, with error changing between installations without any reason.

In my case, the Kernel DMA Protection in the UEFI Setup was responsible of it. I needed to disable it in order to boot with Hyper-V. I am not able to enable it again after Hyper-V installation correctly done. If so, I go into BSOD again...

thanks to this thread on hp forum :
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Inaccessible-Boot-Device-BSOD-a...

This UEFI setting seems causing many problems with this Windows version, with Lenovo, HP or Dell, in some cases it even prevent to install Windows with BSOD of first or second reboot.

I hope this help

View solution in original post