Win11 22H2 update Run as Administrator issue

Copper Contributor

Hi After updating Win11 to 22H2 I can't run any longer apps as an administrator this option simply does not work any longer.  Also, I can't install e.g. Intel drivers update via exp any longer as well.

I checked the user config and all looks ok I'm in the local admins group. 

Regards

5 Replies
Having the same issue here. You're the only other person I've seen talk about it. I even reverted back to the old version of Windows 11 and the problem fixed itself. It's something in 22H2 specifically that breaks the User Account Control prompt.
Update: I fixed it by uninstalling Express ZIP. Apparently having it in the content menu (when you right click something) it just breaks everything in 22H2, hence why it works on earlier versions. If you have Express ZIP, uninstall it, or look for other potential programs in the content menu.
Hi,

Are you seeing this issue specific to some apps or all apps?

Do you see this problem with all accounts on the system?

Meanwhile, I suggest to report it via Feedback hub. If others are also having this issue, they'll surely upvote your feedback.

Regards.
Hi,

After my open investigation, I can confirm that I see it only with shortcuts so e.g. a can't run as admin CMD from the shortcut but I can run it from .exe (home folder). We with MS support reinstall Windows 11 but it did not help at all. As a workaround, I can run apps as an admin from Task Manager.
We checked all possibilities with support so it seems directly related to the Win update to 22H2

Ad thanks for your suggestion I will report this issue via the feedback hub.,
Regards,

@Integrators 

Hello Integrators,

The Run as administrator function can assist you in executing many advanced processes for different programs. However, sometimes it becomes unfunctional in Windows and cause issue while you are trying to run certain programs.

Here are some possible causes, If Run as administrator isn't working smoothly on the windows system,

• Corrupted system files
  • Third-party application
  • Incompatible/problematic software
  • Your user account must be a member of the administrative group.

However, you can follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue,

Enable the User Account Control:

• Firstly, click on the Start icon, type Control panel, and hit enter to open.
  • Then, navigate to the User Accounts and select the option to Turn User Account Control on or off
  • Now, click on the option that lets you enable UAC on Windows.

Create a New Administrative Account:

• Firstly, press the Windows + I keys to open Settings.
  • Then, navigate to Accounts and select Family & other users from the right pane.
  • Now, click Add account in the Other user section.
  • Next, select Add a user without a Microsoft account to create a user without email/password.
  • Then, set your new user information, locate the account, and click Change account type.
  •  Lastly, choose Administrator as the account type and then click OK.

Perform a Clean boot on the system:

• Firstly, press the Windows key + R shortcut to open the Run dialog.
  • Now, type msconfig and click OK.
  • Next, click the Services tab at the top.
  • Now, check the Hide all Microsoft services box and click the Disable all button to disable all services on the list.
  • Then, click the Startup tab at the top and choose Open Task Manager.
  • Next, right-click each of the applications there and select Disable.
  • Now, return to the System Configuration window.
  • Lastly, click Apply/OK to save changes and restart your system to boot the device in a clean state.

Execute an SFC and DISM scan:

• Firstly, press the Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  • Then, type the command below and press Enter,

sfc /scannow

Note: Wait until the scan gets complete.

• Now, type the command below and press Enter,

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

• Lastly, restart the system to check if the issue persists. 

Change the group membership to Administrator:

• Firstly, open the start menu, Input netplwiz in the search, and click to open.
  • Then, choose your user account and select the Properties button.
  • Now, navigate to the Group Membership tab and choose the Administrator option.
  • Lastly, select Apply/OK to change membership and make it effective.

If the above fixes won't able to fix your issue, you can also give try to the following method and check if the issue gets fixed,

• Perform Boot into Safe Mode with Networking:

Thus, I hope the information above helps you to fix the Run as administrator issue without facing any issues.

----------------------------

Regards,

Austin_M