Tech Community Live: Microsoft Intune
Oct 01 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Why my switch user button has moved a menu level deeper

Copper Contributor
18 Replies
If ms don't change it, then try openshell for a more traditional menu. In windows settings (taskbar settings>behaviours>alignment) you can also set the menu to the left hand side. I use it with retrobar
Why didn't they add a second button, one for their MS stuff and one to log out/switch user. Show the second button only when you are logged in with a MS account. So much useless space on this start menu.
You're using a 3rd party Start menu software, as the default one doesn't come with "Switch user", "Lock", "Sleep", and "Hibernate".
Changes in user account settings might affect how user switching is presented. If you've modified settings related to user accounts or the way they’re displayed, it might lead to a different organization in the men.
Press Windows + L to lock your computer, then on the lock screen, click on the user icon in the bottom right corner to select the user you wish to switch to.
If you find this change inconvenient, you can use alternative methods to switch users quickly, such as:
Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del and selecting "Switch User". Using the Windows + L shortcut to lock the screen, then selecting the user account to switch. Creating a custom shortcut or script to switch users directly.
You can drag and drop the menu to the place you wish to.
Drag the menu and drop it to the right place.

What I find particularly annoying about this change is the loss of Fast User Switching (as well as the extra click required, which is a negative change.)

Why the amount of pinned apps is so less from Settings? I have 18 apps displayed.
This is the standard display. I have 19 apps listed too. Don't know what kind of change OP has made.
Wait until you realize they’re promoting Microsoft 365 in that pane if you’re signed in with your ms account.
Drag & drop does not work for this way on Windows 11.

@Julioil 

Checking account settings: Ensure that no changes have been made that could affect the display of user switching.
Consider the effects of third-party software: If you have startup menu software installed, try temporarily disabling or adjusting its settings.
Restart or update your system: Restarting your computer or checking for system updates may help restore default settings.
Use keyboard shortcuts: Use the “Ctrl + Alt + Delete” shortcut to quickly switch users.
Switch users via Task Manager: In Task Manager, switch to a different user account via the “Users” tab.

In Windows 10, the Switch User button was located on the Start menu, which made it easily accessible. However, in Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018), Microsoft introduced a new design for the Start menu, which moved the Switch User button to a sub-menu.
If moving the "Switch User" button has altered your workflow significantly, you might find third-party applications that allow customization of the Start menu and user interface. However, ensure you use trustworthy applications to avoid security risks.
Microsoft frequently updates Windows, and these updates can sometimes change the UI elements, including the positioning of system options. If you recently installed an update, it might have reorganized these menu items.