What to do if Windows 11 media creation tool not working?

Copper Contributor

I've been encountering a persistent problem with the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool. Whenever I attempt to use it to upgrade my system, it either fails to start, crashes midway, or completes without creating a usable media. Specifically, I get the error code 0x80072f8f - 0x20000 during the process.

Additionally, there are times when the tool does not seem to detect the USB drive I intend to use for the installation media. I've ensured my internet connection is stable and have tried running the tool as an administrator, but these steps haven't resolved the issues. Has anyone experienced similar issues or have any advice to share?

8 Replies

@PedroBitting 

If you find that your Windows 11 media creation tool not working and prompts some errors. Don't worry. The best alternative is Win-Boot-Mate, a cross-platform app for creating Windows 11/10/8/7 bootable USB. It also has a built-in feature to install Windows 11 on a computer that does not meet the system requirements.

Step-by-step guidehttps://www.tekgit.com/create-windows-11-bootable-usb

akkkc.jpeg

@PedroBitting 

Before trying to use Windows 11 media creation tool usb, make sure you have run some system repair and scanning commands. First, open a command prompt, preferably run it as an administrator, and then run the following commands in order:

1. sfc /scannow: This command will scan your system files and try to repair any corrupt or missing files that may be present.
  2. dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth: this is the command to check if the Windows image is corrupt.
  3. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth: this command helps you to repair the corrupted Windows image if the previous command found a problem.

After completing these scans and repairs, try running the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool USB as administrator again. This tool can be slow to start sometimes, so please be patient for a few minutes.

If you have tried all the suggestions on the forum and the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool is still not working, then the problem may lie in the fact that the DISM tool itself is corrupted, or that there is an error in the registry. In this case, you may need to take a more direct approach to installing Windows 11.

@PedroBitting 

I suspect you may be trying to use the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool USB with an external 2TB hard disk rather than a standard USB flash drive. Note that the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool is primarily designed to make a bootable USB flash drive for installing Windows 11 on your computer. this tool does not support installing Windows 11 directly on an external hard drive. if the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool doesn't work and you want to make your 2TB hard drive bootable and install Windows 11 while preserving other data, you can do this: right-click on "this" hard drive to install Windows 11 while preserving other data.

If the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool not working and you want to make your 2TB hard disk bootable and install Windows 11 while preserving other data, you can do it like this: Right-click on "This computer" and select "Manage" to open "Computer Management". Then, go to Disk Management and try to extend the partition to utilize all the unallocated disk space. In this way, your hard disk will be able to install Windows 11 as well as store other data.

@PedroBitting 

I just tried to make a Win10 USB boot disk today using the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool and everything went fine. If you're having problems with the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool not working, you might want to check to see if your USB drive is large enough. It needs to be at least 8GB, though I'd recommend 16GB.

If you choose the ISO file option, the tool will save the ISO file to the internal drive you specify, which is especially helpful for doing upper system repair installations. After that, you can also use software like RUFUS to "burn" the ISO file to a CD or USB drive (although the term "burn" is a carryover from the CD days). These steps can help you solve the problem of Windows 11 media creation tools not working.

Error code 0x80072f8f - 0x20000 is a known issue with the Media Creation Tool. It's often caused by network connectivity problems or issues with the Windows Update service. Some antivirus software might interfere with the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool. Try temporarily disabling it and see if that resolves the issue.

And If the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool is not detecting your USB drive, let me know If you're using a USB hub or an external hard drive, try connecting it directly to a different USB port on your PC.

@PedroBitting Windows 11 Media Creation Tool is still not working? Sometimes, the tool might get stuck in a bad state. Try resetting it by deleting the %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder and then running the Media Creation Tool again.

There are many free alternatives you can use if Windows 11 Media Creation Tool is not working as expected. Make sure you are using the ISO file downloaded from Microsoft and the USB drive is full functional.

If Windows 11 Media Creation Tool not working because usb is not recognized, please make sure the USB drive is at least 8 GB in size and formatted as NTFS or FAT32. Some drives might need to be reformatted before burning Windows 11 ISO to it.

Also try plugging the USB drive into a different USB port on your computer. Avoid using USB hubs or front panel USB ports as they might cause issues.