Remote Desktop seems to be really slow in Windows 11

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

I have currently switched to windows 11, and it seems that remote desktop connection seems to be really slow, lagging behind 1 sec or so. Everything worked normal in windows 10.

Is there any fix for this, is anyone aware of this problem?

8 Replies

I see the same situation with "chrome remote desktop".

use "chrome remote desktop" in Windows 11 (laptop with 4k) and connect to Windows 10 (dual screen with 2 x 4k)  : big lag of 5-10 seconds and sometimes no response at all

use "chrome remote desktop" in Windows 10 (laptop with 4k) and connect to Windows 10 (dual screen with 2 x 4k) : works well

Maybe there is a connection with "Killer WIFI" : Windows 11 Bug Could Slow Down Intel’s Killer Networking : https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-11-known-issues-arent-so-bad-but-could-slow-your-internet

For those using intel Killer WIFI :

In my case it got much better after installing this update of "Killer Performance Suite" ver. 3.1121.936:

German:  https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/download/19779/intel-killer-performance-suite.html

English : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19779/intel-killer-performance-suite.html

you will have issue with internet connection for months after new release of operating system as companies up date their system, certificates and Servers to deal with the change. Also Windows 2022 server i think is getting release now too so expect some issues.

@BataMunkhbold 

I have noticed the exact same thing and found this thread while searching. For me, I have upgraded a VM on a server to Windows 11. The remote desktop performance, especially logging in is slow compared to Windows 10. I have 10G fiber between my workstation and the server with all the VMs also at 10G speeds. I can transfer files quickly like normal between the two and access it fine through other services. However, my login takes 10 seconds or more on Windows 11, where my Windows 10 VMs still connect nearly instantly. It is also noticeably slower on general usage with a delay when I click on things which I didn't have before. I also installed Win 11 on a standalone PC, and I'm having the same issues. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

This has nothing to do with the internet, at least for me. That actually seems to work fine. This is just connecting to PCs on the same LAN.

As strange as it may seem, installing the UWP version of the remote desktop client from Microsoft Store made the legacy version work fine. At least it has been working without any annoying lag for the last few hours. Before, it was barely usable, blocking for 1-2-3 seconds after almost every mouse click or keyboard action.

@WAHAHAH1065 Thanks, but I know other remote software exists. Why am I going to use remote desktop for 10 computers and this for 1? Microsoft just needs to fix their sh*t.

can this be limited to AMD Ryzen CPU / Windows 11 ?
So Intel CPU has no issue with Google Chrome remote deskktop ?