Random Freezing on Windows 11 ( Build 22000.318.0 )

Copper Contributor

I have a new HP Laptop with an Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold 7505 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz with 4 GB RAM and a 120 GB SSD and have experienced random freezing since upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

The freezing can occur at any time and lasts for up to two minutes. It does this whilst using any Internet Browser either Edge or Chrome or any application or game.

I have run all the system and software checks that come provided with the HP Laptop and they pass all the time. I've reset Windows 11 and installed it from scratch only to have the same results.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and is there likely to be a fix in the future?

Many thanks.

23 Replies

Hi @MightyAxle,

I had the same issue with the Lenovo X1 Carbon machine; however, I fixed the issue by running Windows Update and installing all the optional updates as well.

Many thanks for the tip. I found three option updates and installed them. Just waited to see how Windows behaves now.

Hi @MightyAxle,

You are more than welcome, please do not hesitate to share the feedback for further assistance, I will welcome the questions you may have.

I've monitored Windows 11 over the last 12+ hours and it froze again at least twice. The common freeze was for up to two minutes and the other one was where the mouse pointer was active but every application wasn't and inaccessible. This is quite puzzling!

Hi @MightyAxle 

Please run Event Viewer, and find the error logs that occurs at the same time when the Windows got frozen.

• Windows Logs > System
  • Windows Logs > Application

Hi @SalmanAhmed 

I've run the Event Viewer and there does appear to be errors on each day for both the Application and System. I can save the error logs as XML or TXT but they are quite large to paste. I have attached them to look at. I am afraid my knowledge in diagnosing why Windows 11 crashes is beyond me. ( I've added additional information at the point where it crashes - iaStorVD : Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. )

Hi @MightyAxle 

There is an error that indicate another computer on the network has the same name, and it coming very frequently. So that you need to rename your host/computer name.

Hi @SalmanAhmed

Thank you very much for your help so far.

I have done all I can with regard to the issue now. After reinstalling Windows 11 from scratch, checking and updating drivers. Running Scandisk, checking files structures and finally trying to tweak the power plan settings, the results are pretty much the same. I have read that the - " Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. " issue was apparent in Windows 10 as well. I am thankful that this never happened to me.

I just hope that this might be a bug fix that Microsoft are aware of because I can't solve it. The concerning thing about this is, that if a person buys a new Laptop or PC with this problem, they are likely to return it to the place of purchase. The ironic thing about this is, that my wife has a new HP Laptop as well and doesn't have a problem at all. I checked the Event Viewer and no - " Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. " occurs at all.

Many thanks again!

Hi @MightyAxle 

Please follow the below link, I hope this article could helpful for you.

https://windowsreport.com/fix-reset-to-device-raidport0/

Hi @SalmanAhmed 

Many thanks for the link. I have tried pretty much every step and adjusted the power settings. I've doubled checked that all of the drivers via the HP Support Assistant are up to date and via the Intel website for my motherboard and chipset.

It's all rather puzzling why this is happening. If there are errors being logged in Event Viewer, that's fine, but the freezing at random intervals is strange. 

Hi @MightyAxle

Thanks for the response.

If you have updated your chipset drivers with the latest one from the manufacturer's website, the issue should be fixed. However, please check and share the latest logs from the event viewer. 

Hi @SalmanAhmed 

Windows 11 has frozen several times today. I did manage to find Driver Easy to download more up-to-date drivers again today and the system should have been running okay.

I have attached the Application and System CSV files for you to inspect.

Thank you for your continued help.

Hi @MightyAxle 

There is no issue found from the application logs; however, there are some major issues listed in system logs:

1. A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.
  2. DCOM got error "1115" attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
    {E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}
  3. Miniport Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2, {03907576-4218-45f4-bbd9-180f1a01ad4f}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has failed a power transition to operational power
  4. "The Compaq Dfw service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified."
  5. The Realtek Wireless Manager Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
  6. The server {3EEF301F-B596-4C0B-BD92-013BEAFCE793} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
  7. The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C20EE1FE-7063-415E-8125-4C7D15747E64} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

@MightyAxle 

1. To run cmd in elevated mode, right-click on Command Prompt icon, and select Run as administrator.

2. Please execute the below commands step by step:

chkdsk c: /f
sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

The first command will scan and fix the errors on the system drive, the second will scan and fix system file corruption issues, third and fourth command will use DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) tool to scan/restore the health of the windows installation image. 

I hope these steps could be helpful for you, please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.

Hi @SalmanAhmed i have the same problem and tried your fixes but problem still persists.. any further suggestions welcome.

Hi @Kurthh

Please share the system logs from the Event Viewer.

Dear @SalmanAhmed 

my knowledge to do this is unfortunately lacking. I opened event viewer but clueless how to send you this info. please advise.

Hi @Kurthh 

From Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs, from the right sidebar click Create Custom View, and apply the filter (Check the highlighted boxes) as shown in the screenshot.

Find the logs that occurs at the same time when the Windows got frozen from the below categories.

• Windows Logs > System
  • Windows Logs > Application

Event-Viewer001.png

Thank you for your guidance @SalmanAhmed 

i have succeeded to save the windows logs in csv format but the application & services gives an error and cannot be saved for some reason it says its too large?! 

i also saved the summary page events with all critical events in .evtx format.

problem is how do i attach them for you in this forum?