SOLVED

PL2303 issues (Prolific USB to Serial Drivers) Win 11

Copper Contributor

I have come across an issue that I don't if anyone has come across and found a fix?

I have a few handheld radios that I need to update the frequencies and when I connect to the USB, it fails to connect. In device manager and Ports it says - "Please install corresponding PL2303 driver to support Windows 11 and further OS" 

I have tried different ways and still it won't update drivers/COM ports. I've run out of ideas (as for a novice).

Has anyone been across this and sorted it?

Thanks,

Cundy66

58 Replies
I have the same problem, and cannot find anything the solves it. The workaround suggested by BHITSSD did not help (I have no "older" versions of the driver installed to select).
best response confirmed by Cundy66 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I tried the older driver available here:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=223&pcid=126
And this seemed to work for Windows 11. Weird that an old driver works better than the latest one.

I have the PL-2303 TA chipset.

@Cundy66 

Hello! You've posted your question in the Tech Community Discussion space, which is intended for discussion around the Tech Community website itself, not product questions. I'm moving your question to the Windows 11 space - please post Windows 11 questions here in the future. 

That has worked thanks

As per @ejohanson, the older version resolves the issue. So this is how I did it:
I had the latest driver installed, and when I rolled back, it installed 3.9.1, which resolved the issue.

mg_07_0-1637342824040.png

There is a working driver at http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41, a bit down the page listed as "DCHU (for PC Vendors)". Getting it installed is a bit tricky, it seems. What I did is this:

First install the downloaded driver by unpacking the zip file and "pnputil /add-driver *.inf /subdirs /install" (the /install is probably not necessary) from the extracted "Win11_DCHU" directory. It will add the two driver packages to the driver store and tell you what oemXY.inf files it has assigned to them.

Then "pnputil /enum-drivers", and in the output look for Prolific drivers other than the ones from the previous step. I had only one other entry, a "ser2pl.inf" version "09/16/2021 3.8.40.0".

Disconnect the device, and "pnputil /delete-driver oemXY.inf" with the INF file you located in the previous step.

Connect the device again, and it should work, at least, it does for me. The problem is probably that the non-working driver is the newest (September 2021 vs. July for the ones from the download page) and so Windows prefers it over them.

@chrullrich  Thank you, this worked for me also. But won't Windows update put the newer driver back again? Can I prevent that from happening?

Windows 11 update loaded Prolific PL2303 driver 3.8.40.0 and when I go to device manager it says "Please install corresponding  PL2303 driver to support Windows 11  and further OS" This driver does not even attempt to communicate with my X10 CM11 hooked to my serial port.  I had to go to Prolific website and load their current driver 3.6.81.357. (uninstall driver first)  Serial to X10 device now working fine.  Don't install Windows update for Prolific or it will change it back.

This driver worked for me too. I'm in Windows 11 22000.
Hardware:
USB\VID_067B&PID_2303&REV_0400
or in lspci 067B:2303 0400
This is the Prolific website read on the driver I installed:

PL2303 Windows Driver Download

Download File: PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.12.0.zip

Windows Driver Installer Setup Program
(For PL2303 HXA, XA, HXD, EA, RA, SA, TA, TB versions)
Installer version & Build date: 1.12.0 (2015-10-07)
Windows XP (32 & 64-bit) WDM WHQL Driver: v2.1.51.238 (10/22/2013)
- Windows XP Certified WHQL Driver
- Windows Certification Report
- Compatible with Windows 2000SP4 & Server2003
Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 (32 & 64-bit) WDF WHQL Driver: v3.6.81.357 (09/04/2015)
- Windows 10 Certified WHQL Driver
- Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 Certified WHQL Driver
- Windows Certification Report
- Compatible with Windows Server2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2012R2
- Driver can auto-download via Windows Update (Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

Installer Language Support: English (default), Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), Japanese
For Prolific USB VID_067B&PID_2303 and PID_2304 Only
Includes Certification Report, User Manual, Driver Release Notes & CheckChipVersion Tool
Installer supports silent install (add "/s" parameter when running program)
I just uninstalled it from device manager while it was plugged in,
unplugged it from USB port,
installed the 1.12 version of the installer (3.6.81.357 driver) from http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=223&pcid=126.
It prompted me to reboot, I did.
After login, plugged in serial port to USB drive, opened device manager
Device reports COM3, no warning message anymore -
Connected to serial of HPE switch 9600 8n1 through Putty right now without issue

This worked for me. Downloaded the driver, ran the install it removed the older version. Ran installer again and error for my comm port is now gone. @averyfreeman 

Thank you, This driver worked for me too.

@chrullrich Yes is there a way from the new prolific driver from reinstalling itself at every update?  Do you know of a way that it doesnt keep going to the new PL driver?

@scco1999   There is a way to block updates, but I haven't tried it yet.  

@Eric Starker 

It works for me too ,I try the new version and didnt see it , but after installing a couple of times it works . Also I uninstall the previous version before .

Thanks Guys to the TIP 

Hey, I think you meant to tag someone else in this reply, but I'm glad you got things resolved!
Me funciono muchas gracias

@ejohanson 

Thanks for the info, this solved a problem with a Windows 11 installation and a jewelry engraver.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Cundy66 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I tried the older driver available here:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=223&pcid=126
And this seemed to work for Windows 11. Weird that an old driver works better than the latest one.

I have the PL-2303 TA chipset.

View solution in original post