SOLVED

LLDP in Windows 11 build 22H2 triggers an STP shutdown on the network switch

Copper Contributor

I work in an office environment. We are testing 22H2 build of Windows 11. After a successful upgrade, computers in our lab will lose their internet connections.

After some investigation, we noticed that the network switch each computer was connected to had disabled the port. It was disabled by STP because it saw BPDUs on the port. This is normal behavior from the switch. It should not expect BPDUs from a Windows computer. These only come from other network switches.

If we turn LLDP off on the computer's ethernet connection, this problem goes away. We can also turn off BPDU-Guard on the switch to prevent this, but neither workaround is ideal.

This is a very easily reproduceable bug. We are using an Aruba switch, but other users have reported it on Brocade as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/ugw3na/bpdu_issues_in_windows_11/

5 Replies
best response confirmed by NavalTech (Copper Contributor)
Solution
From what you explained it seems like a bug.
I advise you to open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.
Make sure share steps to reproduce the problem and expected result and actual result.

@Reza_Ameri Appreciate the reply. I created a post on the feedback hub: https://aka.ms/AAimabv

Haven't seen similar posts on this topic, so I think I'm the first to report it. My next step is to set up a Cisco switch in our lab and see if the behavior replicates itself there.

Thank you for reporting and this way the Windows team will be able to investigate it.
You may run any test case scenario and update the result on your feedback.

@Reza_Ameri We experiance the same situation, We have HP Aruba switches and it only happens on Windows 11 22H2, Windows 10 22H2 does not create the problem.

Thank you for sharing, like I said it seems to be a bug and make sure report it through the Feedback Hub app.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by NavalTech (Copper Contributor)
Solution
From what you explained it seems like a bug.
I advise you to open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.
Make sure share steps to reproduce the problem and expected result and actual result.

View solution in original post