How to Password Protect a Folder in Windows 11 Home?

Copper Contributor

I am struggling to password protect a folder in Windows 11 Home computer and need some guidance. I want to ensure that nobody can access the contents of this particular folder without entering the correct password. I have tried various methods such as creating a ZIP file with a password, using third-party software, and even changing the folder properties to make it hidden. However, none of these methods seem to work as I still noticed unauthorized access to the folder.

Is there any way to set up a secure password to protect data within a folder in Windows 11 Home? Thank you in advance for your help!

3 Replies
There is no direct out of the box way to do it in Windows and you will need third-party solutions.
You mentioned about using Zip, did you tried add password? If yes, how it is accessible without password?
Creating a ZIP file with a password is not friendly and the file can be easily corrupted. There are risks of file corruption or data loss. When I need to access files in a password-protected ZIP file, I have to unzip the entire file, enter the password, and then unzip the desired file. The steps are too cumbersome, and i am not able to access it without password.
In this case, it is better to look for third-party products.
Meanwhile, you may open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and file a suggestion.