How to convert .ai to .png transparent on Windows 11?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I’m working on a project that involves a lot of vector graphics, and I’ve got several files in .ai (Adobe Illustrator) format that I need to convert to .png. However, my Windows 11 does not have Illustrator app installed. So I’m looking for the best way to convert AI to PNG without Illustrator and losing any quality .

I know there are various AI to PNG conversion tools out there, but I’m not sure which one works best on Windows 11. Has anyone here successfully converted .ai images to .png? If so, how to do that?

Thank you

6 Replies
The Photos app does not support .ai images. You have to use other free apps from Microsoft App store in order to batch convert AI to PNG without without Illustrator app on Windows 11. You can also use the default command line tool for the same purpose. However, it takes much more time for commands.
GIMP is a free image editor that, when combined with Gostscript, can be used to open and convert AI files to PNG. First, you need to install Gostscript, on your computer and ensure that GIMP recognizes it. After setting up, open the AI file in GIMP. It will use it to interpret the AI file, allowing you to view and edit it in GIMP. Once opened, you can then export the file as a PNG by going to "File" > "Export As," and selecting PNG as the format.
When converting AI files to PNG format on a Windows computer, there are several common errors and issues you should be aware of to ensure a smooth conversion process and maintain the quality of your images. AI files often contain multiple layers, effects, and transparency. If you don't flatten the layers before exporting, some effects may not render correctly.

Solution: Flatten the artwork before conversion by selecting Object > Flatten Transparency or exporting directly after ensuring your artwork is finalized.

@Scottil To convert AI to PNG while maintaining quality and transparency. If you're dealing with complex vector graphics, using a tool like 1nkscape might be beneficial as they provide more options for handling the details of the graphics. Online tools are quick and convenient, with no installation required, perfect for occasional conversions. However, it is prone to the problem of privacy leakage.

@Scottil Converting AI (Adobe Illustrator) files to PNG directly via Command Prompt (CMD) on Windows 11 isn't natively supported, as Windows doesn't have built-in tools for handling AI files in CMD. However, you can achieve this by using a combination of open-source tools and scripts.

Inkcape provides a command-line interface that allows you to convert files from one format to another, including AI to PNG. Here’s how you can do it:

inkcape "C:\path\to\your\file.ai" --export-type=png --export-filename="C:\path\to\save\output.png"

While converting AI to PNG via CMD on Windows 11 requires the use of Inkcape's command-line interface, it’s a powerful and flexible solution. By leveraging a batch script, you can easily handle multiple files at once, making it an efficient method for bulk conversions

@Scottil Using GIMP and Ghostscrilpt to convert AI files to PNG on a Windows PC has some drawbacks that you may want to consider. The setup can be a bit of a pain. You have to install both GIMP and Ghostscrlpt, which isn't as straightforward as just downloading an app and running with it. You might find yourself troubleshooting if GIMP doesn't recognize Ghostscrlpt right away.