Conflicting Windows 11 Eligibility Statement

Copper Contributor

The list of CPUs compatible with Windows 11 says my laptop running Windows 10 version 21H1 and using an Intel Core i7 6500U processor supports Windows 11.  However, the PC Health Check says my CPU is not supported and I can't get Windows 11. Why?

4 Replies
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-11/windows11-another-change-in-system-requirements/m-...
Hello, please see this - I think it will be a partial explanation.
Best regards

@svanwigI'm not sure where you were seeing the 6500U on the compatibility list.  It is not listed on the Windows 11 Intel CPU Compatibility List.

(Perhaps you were seeing the 6500Y, G6500, or G6500T on there and mistook those for the 6500U?  These are not the same processor/architecture as the 6500U that you have.)

6500U is a 6th generation processor, and only select 7th generation and 8th generation and up processors are supported on the Intel side for Windows 11.  The PC Health Check app is correct, and your computer is not formally compatible with Windows 11.

@ShawnMaiberger  Thanks very much for your reply.  I was definitely looking at the wrong supported CPU chart (Windows 10 version 21H1).  You're correct.  The chart for Windows 11 does not include my Intel Core i7-6500U CPU. 

All the best,

svanwig

@svanwig I have a 6 year old Laptop with the Intel I7 6560 processor. I found a workaround to install Windows 11. I joined the Windows Insider Program and to my surprise, was able to download and install Windows 11 Pro 22H2 in May 2022. It has worked flawlessly since then. I have received periodic updates that are part of the insider's program. The SSD on the old laptop stopped working in Jan 2022 so I bought a new laptop with Windows 11. Not giving up on my old laptop, I installed a new SSD as well as a new battery. I hope it should be good for a long time. However, it is a tad bit slower than my new laptop.