SOLVED

Microsoft Store: this app has been blocked due the company policy

Brass Contributor

Hi everyone

In our organisation, we have limited the apps that can be installed via the Microsoft Store. For some time now, users have been receiving an error message:

"This app has been blocked due to the company policy".

2021-11-26 07_12_50-Microsoft Store.png

However, the app can still be installed.

What could be the reason for this? Or where can I start troubleshooting?

Windows 10 - Version 21H1 - OS Build 19043.1348
Microsoft Store - Version 22110.1401.17.0

"Reset" and "Repair" has had no effect.

21 Replies

@simuuh 

Hello

It seems most appropriate to contact Microsoft Store Support:

Contact Microsoft Store Support

How are you manging them?
Are you using Intune?
How you set the policy?
Sometimes it might take some times before the policy get enforced.
Have you tried restarting the client?
we manage the apps directly in the store. there we have the apps on the whitelist.
which policy should apply, since the apps are managed directly in the store?
Regards, simuuh
In this case, I would recommend you to contact the Microsoft Support and since this is a cloud service they could help you the best.
However, as a workaround you may try use AppLocker and create whitelist of trusted app and block the other or create a black list.
Our organization is also seeing this with the update to the new Microsoft Store version. Previously on the older Store, we were not seeing this issue.

Worth noting like yourself, users can still install the apps that we made available in our store, so it seems this message is in error. We are opening up a Microsoft support case to troubleshoot further.

Please let me know if you figure it out before I do :)
I have exactly the same message. Running with the same specs as you as well. The only thing what I have configured in Intune, is that the user only gets the companies private store.
With an older Store client, we don't get this message.
In this case, try create a support ticket and report this issue to the Microsoft.
Already resolved. Change the intune setting back to public and private and then again back to private.
Interesting - we do not control the Store via Intune and only use GPO to control the private store. I am still working with MS Support.

We are full on Intune. So no SCCM or Co-management.

And no GPO's, because the devices are AAD joined. 

Fair enough - we are hybrid joined and are now just co-managing with Intune, so we don't have anything in Intune right now. So we are controlling the Store via GPO. Too bad I couldn't just do what you did to get it fixed! I am now attempting to see if disabling the GPO and re-enabling it will resolve the issue, but I have my doubts.

@lexcyn Interested to see how you go with this... we're seeing the same issue.

Also using GPO to limit to private store, and have AppLocker configured for whitelisting apps. Users see the message on any app, but can still install apps which are whitelisted for them (even though they get this message).

@Jeroen Burgerhout 

can you tell me where I can find the setting? :)

Hi, in the new settings catalog, you'll find a section called Microsoft App Store. There you have an setting named Allow Private store, or something.
So far disabling/re-enabling the GPO did nothing to fix the issue. I am wondering if this is due to the Business Store retiring next year and MS wanting to move to Intune. I can't find any logical setting where any other policies would control the Store other than Intune - if anyone figures something out I would be really interested.
Thank you for letting us know , it is more like a workaround than a solution. I advise you to file a support ticket so support engineers would solve the issue and they might also release support information.
I do have an active Premiere support ticket for this and have mentioned it's happening to other organizations but they are still having me send some GPO logs :)
I'd open a ticket myself, but currently already juggling tickets with MS & other vendors for other issues, a long with everything else on my plate.... This is a pretty low priority item for me as we aren't heavy store users, but still annoying.
best response confirmed by simuuh (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi all - Microsoft has pushed an updated Store Version 22111.1401.1.0 that resolves this issue.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by simuuh (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi all - Microsoft has pushed an updated Store Version 22111.1401.1.0 that resolves this issue.

View solution in original post