KB5034441 fails to install with error code 0x80070643.

MVP

Feedback from a long time patcher here:

The manner in which this particular update has been handled has been poor in my opinion. The update is only being pushed out to Windows update or Windows update for business and is not on the Microsoft catalog nor WSUS. So this update has been pushed to machines that I would call "lightly" managed or "unmanaged".  Some of these impacted machines have no TPM chip nor do they have bitlocker installed so the need for this update is nil.  

The communication thus far has been to instruct us to manually attempt to resize partitions which are not easy to do for anyone, and particularly not for a lot of machines.  There are few tools that I can see that let us know if we're going to hit this issue other than to attempt to install and see if it fails.  The PowerShell script is not something I'd have my 95 Dad want to do to his machine, let alone me wanting to do it to a bunch of machines at the office.

We're now at Friday, right before patching weekend and may I request a lot more communication and perhaps someone going back and adding in detection into the patch to at least not attempt to install on machines that have no tpm chip and do not have bitlocker installed.  These machines are not at risk.

What you are asking your Microsoft patchers to do with this update is not acceptable and not attainable by your Windows 10 patching audience.

50 Replies
The January 2024 Windows RE update might fail to install
Status
Confirmed

Affected platforms
Client VersionsMessage IDOriginating KBResolved KB
Windows 10, version 22H2 WI706429 KB5034441 -
Windows 10, version 21H2 WI706430 KB5034441 -

Devices attempting to install the January 2024 Windows Recovery Environment update (the Originating KBs listed above) might display an error related to the size of the Recovery Environment's partition. The Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) is used to repair or recover from issues affecting Windows.

Resulting from this error, the following message might be displayed.

"0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE"

Workaround: It might be necessary to increase the size of the WinRE partition in order to avoid this issue and complete the installation. Note that 250 megabytes of free space is required in the recovery partition. Guidance to change the WinRE partition size can be found in KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update.

Next steps: We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
I resized the Windows 10 partition and removed the WinRE partition according to Microsoft's instructions. The disk is MBR because there is no star for GPT. Before the changes, WinRE was on disk 0 and partition 3. Now WinRE points to disk 0 and partition 2 and partition 2 is the Windows 10 operating system!

I followed these instructions:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-t...

@Arto_Montonen I deleted partition 3 which was WinRE. I created a new NTFS partition without name and drive letter via Windows Disk Management. In the CMD window, I changed the partition ID number. I using the disk part program, when the correct disk and partition have been selected. The ID number can be viewed with the det part command and the set part 27 command sets the ID number, which is the recovery ID partition number of the MBR disk. After that, WinRE starts pointing to disk 0 and partition 3 again when I enable WinRE function again.

Set id=27 not set part 27.
Having people "manually" F around with drive partitions is beyond dangerous. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, the potential is there to lose everything on your hard drive. Microsoft needs to release a fix for this mess.

@Susan Bradley  I do not have BitLocker installed, so don't even need the patch. I do have 522MB free space on my Partition Drive, which ought to be more than ample. Still no successful install. 

@Azucho98

I agree.

I managed to repair the partitions manually with the diskpart program and Microsoft's MBR disk instruction is incorrect and leads to errors, but the GPT disk instruction works. Microsoft made a mistake when it combined the instructions for MBR and GPT disks into one instruction, it led to errors in the MBR disk instruction. Formatting works differently on MBR and GPT disks.

This is my way to fix that problem.

I know disk and partition numbers. Disk is number 0 and partition is numeber 3 in my case. That is what I need when i do fix to the revovery partition fix with command prompt and admistrator rights.

C:\Windows\system32>reagentc /disable
REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

C:\Windows\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.19041.3636

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: YOUR-PC

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> sel part 3

Partition 3 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> det part

Partition 3
Type : 27
Hidden: No
Active: No
Offset in Bytes: 255269535744

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
* Volume 3 Windows RE NTFS Partition 759 MB Healthy Hidden

DISKPART> delete partition override

DISKPART> create partition primary id=27

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART> format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows RE tools"

100 percent completed

DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.

DISKPART> det part

Partition 3
Type : 07 <- ALERT!. PATITION NUMNER IS 7 NOT 27 WTF!
ctive: No

* Volume 3 Windows RE NTFS Partition 759 MB Healthy

DISKPART> set id=27 <- PARTITION NUMBER IS FIXED!

DiskPart successfully set the partition ID.

DISKPART> det part

Partition 3
Type : 27
Active: No

* Volume 3 Windows RE NTFS Partition 759 MB Healthy Hidden

DISKPART> list part

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 50 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 237 GB 51 MB
* Partition 3 Recovery 759 MB 237 GB

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\Windows\system32>reagentc /enable <- Windows start copying rocovery boot files place where reagentc /info status pointing. That is not easy to expalain, but i think i hit correct point.

@Arto_Montonen  

The current version of Windows10 = 19045.3930 , so it seems that your system is outdated , can you explain that?

I'm not wasting my time on this mistake, I've already explained why. I don't recommend your steps.

@Susan Bradley 

Good source for a "fix" - or, how to block the update until Microsoft actually fixes it. 

https://www.askwoody.com/2024/quick-video-to-showcase-how-to-hide-kb5034441/

which points to the tool (from microsoft) found here: https://blockapatch.com/

My Windows 10 Pro version is 19045.3930 and Windows 10 Diskpart version is 10.0.19041.3636. Don't mix them up.

I tried to tell everyone how to fix the recovery partition if MBR disk in use, because many people already "manually" F around with drive partitions.

Microsoft's manual instruction causes a non-functional recovery partition on the MBR disk and Windows 10 creates a hidden recovery folder on the C drive. Files are copied to that folder and the new location of the rocovery tools is then on the C drive, not in the recovery partition. Maybe this is an option B if the recovery partition is not found.

Hi@Susan Bradley :)

Glad you posted this, as I was just going around in circles for last hour.

@A1 

My Windows 10 Pro is not outdated? The version is the same 19045.3930 and there is no error because the size of the recovery partition is 759MB. 

I updated one version of Windows 10 Home PC last week and it didn't get stuck with this error. The user had forgotten the windows PIN code and claimed it was 0000, but that is no longer allowed by Microsoft. I found the e-mail address and password of his Microsoft account, which I used to change the new PIN code. His computer hadn't been used for over 6 to 12 months because logging into Windows 10 Home didn't work. The Windows PIN code can be changed if Microsoft account email address and password have been written down on a piece of paper.

@Arto_Montonen 

Interesting - Windows10 Home doesn't have -> BitLocker.

I've found the easiest and safest workaround for Windows RE update problem is to (1) disable Windows RE, (2) change the Windows RE partition type from "Recovery" to "Primary", (3) enable Windows RE, apply the update, then repeat the first three steps, changing the partition type back to "Recovery". You don't need to resize or delete partitions. 

WARNING: The steps below involve making changes to your hard disk's partition table. Any misstep could render your system unbootable and potentially result in data loss. This may not work for everyone. Stop if your results at any step are inconsistent with those shown below. Proceed at your own risk.

From an elevated PowerShell prompt, use reagentc to check the current Windows RE state.

PS> reagentc /info
Windows RE status: Enabled

Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE

The Windows RE status should show Enabled. Make note of the hard disk and partition number.

Disable Windows RE.

PS> reagentc /disable

This should move Windows RE image file Winre.wim from \Recovery\WindowsRE on the hidden partition to C:\Windows\System32\Recovery.

IMPORTANT: This doesn't appear to occur in every case. Verify that Winre.wim exists in C:\Windows\System32\Recovery. If it doesn't, reenable Windows RE with reagentc /enable and stop. This file is normally hidden. Use the -Force parameter with dir (in PowerShell) to see it.

PS> dir C:\Windows\System32\Recovery -Force

Directory: C:\Windows\System32\Recovery

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
-a--- 2/4/2024 3:37 AM 1139 ReAgent.xml
---hs- 8/6/2021 8:26 PM 440718104 Winre.wim

Use diskpart to temporarily change the type of the recovery partition. Select the disk and partition using the numbers in the Windows RE location shown above.

PS> diskpart

DISKPART> select disk 0
Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> select partition 4
Partition 4 is now the selected partition.

IMPORTANT: Verify that you've selected the correct partition. The selected partition is marked with an asterisk and should show as type Recovery.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition 1 System 260 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Reserved 16 MB 261 MB
Partition 3 Primary 237 GB 277 MB
* Partition 4 Recovery 860 MB 237 GB

Display partition details to show the partition type. 

DISKPART> detail partition

Partition 4
Type : de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
Hidden : Yes
Required: Yes
Attrib : 0X8000000000000001
Offset in Bytes: 255158386688
* Volume 2 Windows RE NTFS Partition 860 MB Healthy Hidden

Change the partition type from Recovery to Primary (normal).

If the type is 27, this is an MBR partition. Set the type to 7.

DISKPART> set id=7 override

If the type is de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac, this is a GPT partition. Set the type to ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7.

DISKPART> set id=ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7 override

List the partitions to verify that the change was applied.

DISKPART> list partition

* Partition 4 Primary 860 MB 237 GB

Exit diskpart.

DISKPART> exit

When you re-enable Windows RE, if a valid recovery partition isn't available, reagentc will use C:\Recovery\WindowsRE as the location for the recovery image. If a WindowsRE directory already exists in C:\Recovery, rename it.

PS> dir C:\Recovery -Force

Directory: C:\Recovery

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
d---- 12/2/2020 8:57 PM WindowsRE
d---- 3/20/2022 3:10 AM OEM
-a--- 1/12/2021 4:35 AM 1139 ReAgentOld.xml

PS> ren C:\Recovery\WindowsRE WindowsRE.old -Force

Re-enable Windows RE and confirm that the location has changed. Here, it changed from partition4 to partition3, which, in this case, is the OS partition (C:\). 

PS> reagentc /enable

PS> reagentc /info
Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE

At this point, attempt to apply the Windows Update. Regardless of success or failure, complete the steps below to reverse the changes made above.

PS> reagentc /disable
PS> diskpart

DISKPART> select disk 0
DISKPART> select partition 4
DISKPART> list partition

* Partition 4 Primary 860 MB 237 GB

For GPT partition
DISKPART> set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac override
For MBR Partition
DISKPART> set id=27 override

DISKPART> list partition

* Partition 4 Recovery 860 MB 237 GB

DISKPART> exit

PS> reagentc /enable

Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE

Disabling Bitlocker seems to work as well. @PRSGroupIT 

My feedback on this topic:

Microsoft's obvious objective is to destroy old computers. I understand the problem as MS sees it. My computer isn't broken, but you insist on fixing it anyway. Until you break it or set it up for some cyber-criminal to break it for you. And no matter how EVIL you get, there is nothing I can do about it. I hope to gawd I have purchased my last MS machine last year--but you have also destroyed my freedom to pick other options. Just too fricking bad I like freedom, eh? Just when I think I don't have to hate you so much...

@shanen0 I'm sure the "you" you're referring to is Microsoft and not Susan Bradley. Susan is a long-time member of the IT community whose invaluable contributions have benefitted IT professionals everywhere. Susan isn't a Microsoft employee, yet she donates countless hours helping others to navigate the complexities of managing Microsoft products and services in an enterprise and small business environment. A true MVP.

We all understand your frustration, Susan included.