Fix dialog boxes into one place

Copper Contributor

It drives me bonkers that the various dialog boxes for printing or opening files always open in the top left corner of the display. I'll drag them to the center of the screen, a much more logical place considering different display size and resolutions but the next time one opens it's back in the top left corner.

As we have begun switching ALL of our displays to 40" or bigger monitors, this is a bother. Is there any way to pin these boxes to where we want them?

8 Replies

@ParishAdmin 

I don't know any way to do this thing. But if it is about printing, then I would recommend you to use the new print menu which can be activated by using the Ctrl+P shortcut or through the Ellipsis menu which mostly appears in the center of the screen, has more appealing UI and is easy to use.

The new Print Dialog Box UI.The new Print Dialog Box UI.

@TheShaunSawThat's nice. I'll keep that in mind once we are are forced to leave Win7 and move to Win0.

@ParishAdmin 

Ohh... I am extremely sorry to you because I thought that this conversation was in the Microsoft Edge Insider Community, I pointed out to the new print menu that is only available to Microsoft Edge and other Chromium browsers. I did not know this post was posted in the Windows 10 community. I am once again, deeply sorry for that.

Spoiler

@ParishAdmin wrote:

It drives me bonkers that the various dialog boxes for printing or opening files always open in the top left corner of the display. I'll drag them to the center of the screen, a much more logical place considering different display size and resolutions but the next time one opens it's back in the top left corner.

As we have begun switching ALL of our displays to 40" or bigger monitors, this is a bother. Is there any way to pin these boxes to where we want them?

I don't know any methods by which we can change where the dialog boxes appear but I think you can send suggestion through the Feedback Hub app in Windows 10 but it seems that you are running Windows 7 so you cannot use it. Maybe @Kapil Arya or @Reza_Ameri-Archived MVP(Most Valued Professionals) can help you with it.

@ParishAdmin 

Are you referring to dialog box in Windows when you open multiple windows?

In this case, normally if you open one windows and place it somewhere and close it and reopen it , it will open in previous location where it has been closed.

Unless you connect to other screen or extend screen or change resolution.

Are you using Windows 7 or Windows 10?

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

No - I just tested on my newly installed windows 10 2004 system and poster is correct. Ctrl+P opens the Windows print dialogue box in the upper left hand corner of my monitor. I move it to the center of the monitor and click "X" to close the print dialogue window. I then use ctrl+p to open it again and it opens in the top left hand corner fo the monitor screen.

The window is NOT remembering it's last open position. It is also a thing that has been ongoing since Windows 95. I have heard, as a PC technician many, many, many people complain about this over the past 25 years. I bevel it is time for MS to address it also. It just drives people nuts.

One more thing - Linux does not exhibit this behavior. Linux remembers the last known open position for all it's windows in my experience and AFAIK.

Sorry for the interruption in this post.

@FooTek 

The normal behavior is like what you mentioned, after closing it should remember the last location. I observed this behavior in most version of Windows. Try update Windows and graphic card drive and if problem persist, in Windows 10, open start and search for feedback and open Feedback Hub app and report this issue.

@FooTek  Dead on, Bro. And Feedback go to an empty drawer.

Yes! This is such a frustrating usability problem in Windows 10. It seems like it would be a simple fix to find the center of the display and make the dialog appear there, instead of upper left. Come on Microsoft!