SOLVED

After installing Windows 10, version 1903 now the computer won't shutdown it just logs off

Copper Contributor

After installing Windows 10, version 1903 now the computer won't shutdown it just logs off?

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1903

OS Build: 18362.207

4 Replies

@dwhitlock 

As a workaround, you could disable the fast startup by following the instruction below:

1. Navigate to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings.
  2. Click on the text which says "Change Settings that are currently unavailable".
  3. Uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)".
  4. click "Save changes" at the bottom of the screen.
  5. Restart your computer to check whether the Windows 10 computer can't shut down problem gets fixed.

best response confirmed by dwhitlock (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@SarinBarnabas Thank you

I have now resolved this by following this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3211190/fast-startup-causes-hibernation-or-shutdown-to-fail...

1. Open the Run box. To do this, press the Windows logo key‌ Windows logo key  +R.
  2. Type regedit, and then press Enter.
  3. Locate and click the following registry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl\
  4. From the pane on the right, verify the contents under the DumpFilters registry value.
  5. Remove everything and make sure that "dumpfve.sys" is the only value listed.
  6. Exit Registry editor.
  7. Restart the computer to enable Fast Startup.

@dwhitlock  I have a similar problem in that shutdown is very slow and when I say slow I mean it takes about 3 minutes or so for the computer to shut down (the power light on the computer to turn off but display goes off quickly). I have disabled the Fast Startup option as since having this problem, the computer also does not start up as fast as it used to when the Fast Startup option was checked but still starts up much faster than it shuts down. Now that I have disabled the Fast Startup option, the computer starts up normally and shuts down normally but I hope I can find what is behind the issue as I miss the fast startup that would occur when everything was working as it ought to. If I recall I think the problem may have to do some kind of USB storage device or something of that nature but cannot find that article.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by dwhitlock (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@SarinBarnabas Thank you

I have now resolved this by following this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3211190/fast-startup-causes-hibernation-or-shutdown-to-fail...

1. Open the Run box. To do this, press the Windows logo key‌ Windows logo key  +R.
  2. Type regedit, and then press Enter.
  3. Locate and click the following registry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl\
  4. From the pane on the right, verify the contents under the DumpFilters registry value.
  5. Remove everything and make sure that "dumpfve.sys" is the only value listed.
  6. Exit Registry editor.
  7. Restart the computer to enable Fast Startup.

View solution in original post