Active Window Left / Right keyboard shortcut causes BSOD

Brass Contributor

I have an HP Z440 with a pair of Nvidia K600 video cards running four monitors.  About two or three months ago I started getting BSOD's (kernel mode trap) when 'bouncing' the Active window to an adjacent monitor using Win+Shift+left/right arrow.  I use this feature heavily with four monitors but now I'm afraid to do so because about 50-75% of the time I will get a BSOD.

I have tried everything I can think of to locate a hardware issue since kernel mode trap is generally indicative of a hardware issue but so far I have only managed to prove it isn't a hardware issue.  Removing one card or the other fixes the issue, neither card by itself has the problem.  When bouncing between monitors it can BSOD when moving between monitors attached to the same card or different cards. 

Also some interesting notes: First, if you un-maximize the active window you can drag it all over the four different monitors and it will NEVER BSOD.   Also, if you un-maximize the active window and win-shift-left/right arrow all across the four monitors it also will NEVER BSOD. 

The only way to reproduced it is with the active window maximized and use the win+shift+arrow left/right hotkeys.

Also, I'm on the latest Nvida WHQL driver and I've performed a clean driver install too.

I'm running Win10Pro v2004 Build 9041.730

Any ideas?  My searches have not turned up anything useful other than a view mentions of some people experiencing issues on some of the newer Win10 builds and Virtualization, I disabled it in BIOS and it did not resolve anything.

15 Replies
Hi,
my first suggestion would be to fill out a problem feedback in feedback hub app, explaining the issue and marking it as high priority. it will automatically grab the crash dumps and send to Microsoft for investigation.

secondly, I'd advice to update your Windows 10 to the latest version, 20H2.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
updating OS has many benefits (fixed problems, features etc.)

after doing that and still not solving your problem, please perform a clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
all the necessary information on how to do that and troubleshooting methods are there.

if the issue still persists, use a software like WhoCrashed: (I personally used this more)
https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

or bsod viewer
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
(both software is free)
and they should tell you which driver, dll etc. is causing the bsod error.

@Brett_GilbertI also have that exact issue, BSOD with any maximized window like a browser or Notepad. My graphic card specs are but a single GTX 1070.

@Garash2kit's still doing it to me as well.  I'm on the latest updates and nothing has fixed it.

Sorry you're having the issue too - it's extremely frustrating for me having multiple displays and not knowing when it will happen.  Originally it started with just bouncing Outlook from screen to screen but now it will do it with other applications too.

I also tried reporting the crash and never heard back from anyone....
I too am having the same issue with windows 10
Any progress on this? I am too having this issue for months now.

@vgergoI ended up replacing my video card as part of a system upgrade and the problem went away.

Same brand? (AMD/Nvidia) ?
it could've been a software driver issue too

@HotCakeX Same brand, different chipset, I had previously re-installed and upgraded the driver several times (all WHQL versions) and it never fixed the issue.

I have the same issue on a Legion 5 laptop (ryzen 7 4800h with GTX 1650 Ti), but for me it only happens when "Hybrid Mode" is turned on in lenovo vantage.

@Csaba8472 Not sure what "Hybrid mode" is, but just restoring full screen Chrome windows (via ALT+Space then "R")  before moving the window over is a workaround for me. If I could create a macro that I could assign to a shortcut key I would be set. What keyboard macro apps can do this type of thing?

@Brett_Gilbert Not thoroughly tested yet, but nVidia driver version 472.12 (released 9/13/2021) seems to have fixed the issue for me!

@vgergo 

As of this morning (30/11/21) I get this as well. I also use these shortcuts heavily due to multi monitor setup.

No updates installed (apart from me trying to fix the issue) for quite a while, I do hope a windows reset isn't the answer as things take me forever to set up again, days of effort last time.

Oddly enough though we had a power blip last night, may be irrelevant though as everything works fine apart from this.

Look for the new nVidia driver on their website (not automatic windows driver update): https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/180557
v472.12 completely solved the problem for me, not a single BSOD in the 2 months since I updated. This turned out to be a bug in nVidia driver which they eventually fixed.

@vgergo 

Wow, well done, fixed it for me as well. Many thanks.