Redirect Following Teams SSO Authentication

Copper Contributor

The primary error we’re encountering on machines that have multiple accounts configured is an error in the Auth/End process which is generating a client error “Refused to display 'https://login.microsoftonline.com/' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'deny'” and failing to redirect to Home/Index when called on to do so (leaving the user on a blank Auth/End page). So far I’ve tried the following approaches to remedy the issue.

• Added an “X-Frame-Options” httpProtocol/customHeader to Web.config, with multiple tested value settings.
  • Added an “Access-Control-Allow-Origin” customHeader to Web.config, with a value of “*”.
  • Added an “Access-Control-Allow-Headers” customHeader to Web.config, with a value of “X-Requested-With.”
  • Tested multiple login_hint values in the query parameters sent to the auth endpoint, derived from the Teams context (e.g. context.upn, context.username, context.userObjectId).
  • Tried multiple approaches to the redirect command, from setting window.location.href to location.assign(), etc.
  • Attempted to use an AJAX call to call a GET request to Home/Index as opposed to redirecting.
  • Tried multiple authorization endpoints URI’s based on a handful of C# Teams SSO samples. Thus far, only https://login.microsoftonline.com/" + context.tid + "/oauth2/v2.0/authorize?" + toQueryString(queryParams) has worked to allow successful authentication.
  • Tried multiple scope variations in the queryParams collection, currently passing User.Read and openid.

This is in addition to trying a number of different approaches in their entirety, such as using OWIN from a controller action and MSAL and MSAL v2.0. The three samples I’m currently focusing on are here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/samples/browse/?products=office-teams&wt.mc_id=devcomteams_navsampl..., namely Teams Tab SSO Authentication, App SSO C#, and Tabs Azure AD Single Sign-On Sample.

10 Replies
We are looking into this, we will update you.

@Jeremy_Messer  - We see that the Tab SSO sample is working fine. Could you please let us know what extra code you have added or implemented? So that we can check it locally as well. Thanks.

@Meghana-MSFT Basically, we're trying to redirect another page within the tab following the microsoftTeams.authentication.notifySuccess() method, by setting the window.location to our Home/Index page as opposed to the sign-on page.  This process is successful in an environment where no additional work/school accounts are present on the system, but when there are additional accounts configured we get the error discussed in the original post.

@Meghana-MSFT For full disclosure, this is our current AuthStart page/script:

<script src="../Scripts/msteams-sdk-1.6.0.js"></script>
<script src="../Scripts/jquery-3.5.1.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    microsoftTeams.initialize();

microsoftTeams.getContext(function (context) {
        let state = _guid();
        localStorage.setItem("auth.state", state);
        localStorage.removeItem("auth.error");

let queryParams = {
            client_id: "@ViewBag.ClientId",
            response_type: "id_token token",
            response_mode: "fragment",
            scope: "https://graph.microsoft.com/User.Read openid profile offline_access",
            redirect_uri: window.location.origin + "/auth/msteamsSilentEnd",
            nonce: _guid(),
            state: state,
            login_hint: context.loginHint,
        };

let authorizeEndpoint = `https://login.microsoftonline.com/${context.tid}/oauth2/v2.0/authorize?${toQueryString(queryParams)}`;
        window.location.assign(authorizeEndpoint);
    });

function toQueryString(queryParams) {
        let encodedQueryParams = [];

for (let key in queryParams) {
            encodedQueryParams.push(key + "=" + encodeURIComponent(queryParams[key]));
        }

return encodedQueryParams.join("&");
    }

function _decimalToHex(number) {
        var hex = number.toString(16);

while (hex.length < 2) {
            hex = '0' + hex;
        }

return hex;
    }

function _guid() {
        var cryptoObj = window.crypto || window.msCrypto;
        if (cryptoObj && cryptoObj.getRandomValues) {
            var buffer = new Uint8Array(16);
            cryptoObj.getRandomValues(buffer);
            buffer[6] |= 0x40;
            buffer[6] &= 0x4f;
            buffer[8] |= 0x80;
            buffer[8] &= 0xbf;

return _decimalToHex(buffer[0]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[1]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[2]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[3]) + '-' + _decimalToHex(buffer[4]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[5]) + '-' + _decimalToHex(buffer[6]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[7]) + '-' +
                _decimalToHex(buffer[8]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[9]) + '-' + _decimalToHex(buffer[10]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[11]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[12]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[13]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[14]) + _decimalToHex(buffer[15]);
        }
        else {
            var guidHolder = 'xxxxxxxx-xxxx-4xxx-yxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx';
            var hex = '0123456789abcdef';
            var r = 0;
            var guidResponse = "";

for (var i = 0; i < 36; i++) {
                if (guidHolder[i] !== '-' && guidHolder[i] !== '4') {
                    r = Math.random() * 16 | 0;
                }

if (guidHolder[i] === 'x') {
                    guidResponse += hex[r];
                } else if (guidHolder[i] === 'y') {
                    r &= 0x3;
                    r |= 0x8;
                    guidResponse += hex[r];
                } else {
                    guidResponse += guidHolder[i];
                }
            }
            return guidResponse;
        }
    }
</script>

And this is the AuthEnd:

<script src="../Scripts/msteams-sdk-1.6.0.js"></script>
<script src="../Scripts/jquery-3.5.1.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    microsoftTeams.initialize();

localStorage.removeItem("auth.error");
    let hashParams = getHashParameters();

if (hashParams["error"]) {
        localStorage.setItem("auth.error", JSON.stringify(hashParams));
        microsoftTeams.authentication.notifyFailure(hashParams["error"]);
    } else if (hashParams["access_token"]) {
        let expectedState = localStorage.getItem("auth.state");

if (expectedState !== hashParams["state"]) {
            microsoftTeams.authentication.notifyFailure("StateDoesNotMatch");
        } else {
            let key = "auth.result";

localStorage.setItem(key, JSON.stringify({
                idToken: hashParams["id_token"],
                accessToken: hashParams["access_token"],
                tokenType: hashParams["token_type"],
                expiresIn: hashParams["expires_in"]
            }));

microsoftTeams.authentication.notifySuccess(key);
            window.location.href = "/Home/Index";
        }
    } else {
        microsoftTeams.authentication.notifyFailure("UnexpectedFailure");
    }

function getHashParameters() {
        let hashParams = {};
        location.hash.substr(1).split("&").forEach(function (item) {
            let s = item.split("="),
                k = s[0],
                v = s[1] && decodeURIComponent(s[1]);
            hashParams[k] = v;
        });
        return hashParams;
    }
</script>

Line #29 of the AuthEnd script is our culprit triggering the X-Frame issue on systems with multiple accounts.

Thanks for the additional details, we will check and get back to you.

@Jeremy_Messer - You have placed the code for redirection in the Authend. Please note that after executing the authentication.notifySuccess, popup gets closed, and the control goes back to the place from where the authentication method was invoked. Could you please remove the window.location.href = "/Home/Index"; from Authend, place it in Authstart instead and check once again. 

Thanks, 

Meghana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

If the response is helpful, please click "**Mark as Best Response**" and like it. You can share your feedback via Microsoft Teams Developer Feedback link. Click here to escalate. 

I've attempted to do as you ask, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference to the behavior we're encountering? I placed the window.location.href = "/Home/Index"; command both before and after assigning the location to the authorizeEndpoint in the Authstart document to no effect.
We have a public Github repo of a stripped sample of our most recent code available at https://github.com/vitNickW/TeamsAppMultiAuth if you want to test it on your end and see the problem we're encountering in a multi-user type of environment.
Thanks for providing additional information. We will check this and get back to you.

Apologies for the long delay in responding. We are trying to setup the sample and are getting exception while trying to run the sample.  

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\xxxxxx\Downloads\TeamsAppMultiAuth-main\TeamsAppMultiAuth-main\TeamsMultiAuthIssue\src\TestTeamsAuthSSO\bin\roslyn\csc.exe'.

Can you please let us know if the sample is working fine at our end? Do we have to follow any extra steps for setting up? Are you still facing this issue?