SOLVED

Where Stock Images are stored in SharePoint Online

Steel Contributor

I have tried looking for where "Stock Images" selected for banners or any other web part use on a SPO page are stored. I am unable to determine this. They are not stored in the Site Assets like other images that are uploaded to a SharePoint site. 

Users have requested to be able to re-use an image and want to know how to find it again and I would like to give them a good answer - especially since this group of images seems to change quite frequently.

Can someone please direct me to where stock images that are used on a site are stored?

15 Replies

@karen_dredske Stock images are browsed online & not stored anywhere in SharePoint tenant.

When you add any images on SharePoint pages, images will be stored in Site Assets >> Site Pages (folder) >> Page Name (folder) --> Images will be stored in this subfolder

Note: The page folder is not created until you upload at least one image on a page.

Similar threadWhere are images stored in SharePoint Online 

Related ReadSharePoint Online: All you need to know about New Image column type 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap I appreciate your response, but you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. That image has to be stored somewhere for it to appear repeatedly over time on that web page. I would like to know where it is stored.
Images used in modern SPO pages are stored in the Site Assets Document Library in the site
best response confirmed by karen_dredske (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@karen_dredske Stock images used in page banner or in image web parts are not stored in site assets library.

These images are hosted on public CDN by Microsoft & displayed using CDN URL.

For example, the image highlighted below is displayed using CDN URL as below: 

ganeshsanap_0-1660025610379.png

Images uploaded from your computer will be stored in Site Assets library.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thank you @ganeshsanap. This is what I was looking for. The unfortunate part is that I can see from your image that one has to find the URL using developer tools in their browser - which is not a user friendly way for a business user to find it in order to use the image again in the future if the image they want doesn't appear when they enter a key word.

@karen_dredske I agree with your point. User should be able to reuse the previously used stock images.

Either there should be an option to store images in site assets or search images using specific keywords in future also.

I would suggest you to submit the feedback/idea for this on SharePoint feedback portal: SharePoint feedback portal 

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.

@ganeshsanap Had the same question, right clicking on the image, copy link will give you the URL (in my case), however, that doesn't help me as when I try to use it in a page with 'From link' I get the error message 'we only support links from within your organisation' because the images are stored in a CDN which is global

@Ann_B1815 Yes, unfortunately it does not work.

Try this: 

1. Open the copied URL directly in new browser tab
  2. Right click on image and use "Save image as..." option to save the image
  3. Use "Upload" option while adding image instead of "From link"

Note: You can use w=800 query string parameter in URL to get the different size images.

For example

https://media.akamai.odsp.cdn.office.net/centralindia1-mediap.svc.ms/transform/thumbnail?provider=url&inputFormat=jpg&docid=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.hubblecontent.osi.office.net%2Fm365content%2Fpublish%2F007661b8-0711-426b-af1b-ff30e6b85a9f%2F1092821342.jpg&w=800

@karen_dredske I found a very nice way to get access to the pictures. 

The stock images are also available if you add them into the picture Web Part as Stock Image.

Add your picture to this WebPart.

From the Picture Web Part you can directly use right-click and Save as...

Regards

Sebastian

@ganeshsanap 

Thank you! this solved the problem for me. 

@SwethaData You're welcome, I am glad it helped you to solve your problem!

That's great, thank you, why didn't I think of that! Doh

If you delete the page that had images you uploaded - will the corresponding site assets folder also be deleted (or after some period of time)?  I have tested in SharePoint Online and I still see the corresponding site asset folder for that page though not sure if it will dump out later. 

What is the risk of making a new folder in site assets for images that may be re-used on different pages at different times (such as leader images)?

Just because you delete a page, the corresponding folder in the Site Assets library is not deleted - ever. It will remain there unless you delete it yourself.

If you want to have a location that stores images that can be used across all SharePoint sites and and re-used. . . the best solution is to setup an Organization Assets site with a document library that is used for storing all images you want to make available. Instructions for how to set one up is here:

Create an organization assets library - SharePoint in Microsoft 365 | Microsoft Learn

When you do this, then when you go to add an image. . . you will now see an option in the Image screen that is called "Organization" and will display all the folders and files of images from there. 

I'm not sure that the Site Assets library will allow you to create a new folder for storing images. That library is a customized document library which, as you know, automatically creates folders that are associated with each site page created in the site. It doesn't like it when you mess with how it is designed to work. 

@Shannon_Moore-Gray,

As @karen_dredske mentioned, folder inside the Site Assets library will not be deleted automatically when you delete the site page.

Also, if you are trying to setup a folder to store the images which will be used on multiple pages from the same site only, you can create a folder within Site Assets library manually and use it. If you have full control permissions on the site, the Site Assets library will allow you to create a new folder for storing images without any issues.

If you want to use the images accross multiple/different sites in SharePoint, create and use organization assets library.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by karen_dredske (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@karen_dredske Stock images used in page banner or in image web parts are not stored in site assets library.

These images are hosted on public CDN by Microsoft & displayed using CDN URL.

For example, the image highlighted below is displayed using CDN URL as below: 

ganeshsanap_0-1660025610379.png

Images uploaded from your computer will be stored in Site Assets library.

View solution in original post