SOLVED

Uploading and playing videos in SharePoint modern sites

Iron Contributor

I searched a lot of threads an they were either ~2 years old or talked about using Stream/O365 Video.

On our new Modern site, I uploaded three MP4 videos to a both a SharePoint Asset Library and Video library (activated video and rich media feature).  I am trying to find the embed code so I can embed the video on our home page, but I don't seem to be able to find it.  Is there a way to upload MP4 videos to Modern SharePoint site and then embed them into web page?  I can only get link and when I add the link, it doesn't look nice vs. embedded videos

Also, does anybody know if SharePoint online modern sites' 'support MP4 videos?  I imagine hundreds of users may watch this video at a time.

We don't want to use Stream as it prompts the users to log in

thoughts?

9 Replies
best response confirmed by JHerschel (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Upload your videos to the Stream service that supports your file format. You can use the Stream web part in a modern page and embed either the video or the whole channel you associated the video with.

Thanks @Alan Marshall , after testing a few things, we are now using Stream, just had to tweak a few settings in Office 365

For anybody else who comes across this thread, save time and use Streams, seems like after doing homework this is the official / supported / best practice way of storing/ embedding videos in SharePoint Modern sites online is using Stream or Office 365 video

We are using stream for videos and have few modern SharePoint sites which have the stream app embedded. However the search feature on the modern SharePoint site doesn't return any search results from Stream Videos. Is there any setting that I could change ? Please advise

Hi,

I saw your post and thought, OK I'll try streams. It might be OK in someplaces, but the video just did not play. I used an YouTube embed instead, via the embed web part since the YouTube webpart refused to work.

I'm running this from, and my users are in, Rwanda, so it's possible that the video is not cached anywhere near Rwanda and the performance might be worse than most people's experience.

But thanks for your suggestion. It did make me look at streams.

Geoff

@JHerschel   does this method require video viewers to have microsoft login?

I understand that Streams requires company login.  Do I misundertand and this allows a streams video to be embedded in a Sharepoint Public File Site (one that allows anonymous links)?

@Steve Schultz I believe so.  We have been using Streams for over a year now, but haven't tested with anonymous users or external users.  One small quirk is that a few users on Iphone/Ipad using SharePoint app will need to click on a button to open in new window (browser I guess) and then log in.  So, we have been telling users to use browsers to view our Intranet site for more stream less experience, but users will need to go into browser settings and disable 'prevent cross site traffic' since videos are at different URL.  hope this helps.

I would use O365 Video until they allow guest access to Stream (2020 Q4 per roadmap).  Hopefully O3665 Video will stick around until Stream has that capability.

I've also used the Image Viewer webpart to link to and open an mp4 stored in a document  library.

@Larry Corley 

do you have access to office 365 video still.  For some reason it doesn't seem to be in our tenant, i thought stream replaced it completely.  but if there is still a way to use it it would be great for us becasue of the fact that stream doesn't support guest access yet.

@Jeff Williams 

It looks like it's no longer in our tenant either Jeff.  I could have sworn it was there three weeks ago.  It looks like the content that was in O365 Video is now in Stream.  I'm not sure if we had any videos exposed to guest users in O365 Video.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JHerschel (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Upload your videos to the Stream service that supports your file format. You can use the Stream web part in a modern page and embed either the video or the whole channel you associated the video with.

View solution in original post