Title Column Rename in Modern BUG

Iron Contributor

Discovered this a few minutes ago.  

Created a new list.  Added some columns via the +Add Column header.

Renamed the Title column to "Project"

So far so good.

Closed the window and on to other projects.  Came back to the page, the added columns were not showing in the view (I suppose I have to build a view with the new columns?)

Created a new item in the list, in the modern interface.  The side panel popped out and listed all my available fields, yet my renamed "Title" field was listed as "Title" still and not "Project" like I would expect.

10 Replies

I noticed this when renaming the Title column on a custom list last Thursday - I just figured I'd clicked the wrong button, but happy to see it probably wasn't my fault after all!

If you want to rename the existing column title in the list/library, please follow the below steps:

• List Column: Go to List Settings-> Columns-> Click the column title link you wanted-> rename column name in "Name and Type" Option;
  • Site Column: Navigate to Site Settings-> Site Columns-> Click the column title line you wanted->  rename column name in "Name and Type" Option;
Thanks. I am aware that it can be done this way, but wanted to bring up the bug in the modern interface in hopes that someone with clout in Microsoft would notice and could get it fixed.
Yeah, well, that didn't happen. Three years later, and the title column rename from the modern list interface still doesn't stick.

Well, here we are in 2022 and the title column rename still doesn't stick

This is really bugging me that it keeps changing back

Can confirm. Even worse: I created the list, renamed "Title". Once using the modern list option, then via Settings > Columns. Title changed. But JUST for me! My users still see "Title". This is a nightmare, because now I need to double check silly things like this from a second account. Really?? Fix this. PLEASE!
is there a solution?
Have the same issue. Classic view shows the correct Change. Modern view does not change anything.
Same for me. Any solution?