Synced SharePoint Excel File opens under "System32" user, instead of under my local username

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm syncing my SharePoint files to my desktop using SharePoint Online's "sync to desktop" feature. When I open windows explorer, the navigation bar shows the following path for the synced directory that I want to access...

C:\Users\johndoe\MyCompany\MySharePointSite\MyFolder

However, when I double-click the MyExcelFile.xlsx file that I want to open, and I use the =Info("Directory") function in Excel, I unexpectedly get the following path...

C:\Users\system32\MyCompany\MySharePointSite\MyFolder

Oddly, if I open a new instance of excel, and drag & drop the MyExcelFile.xlsx from the same exact windows explorer location, the =Info("Directory") function gives me the file path that I would expect to see...

C:\Users\johndoe\MyCompany\MySharePointSite\MyFolder

I'm using the =info("Directory") function in the MyExcelFile.xlsx to create a relative file path for querying data elsewhere within my SharePoint site via Power Query, and this "system32" issue is a bit of a pain.

Does anyone know of a way to force excel to open under the "johndoe" username by default when I double-click the file, instead of "system32"?

Thanks!

1 Reply

@JFADI2020 Hi, Did you ever find a resolution to this? I'm experiencing the same issues.