SOLVED

SP List, Expand Content Button

Copper Contributor

Hi, we just rolled out our site today, and some are having problems with the lists. They are selecting the "Expand Content" button which takes away the toolbar to edit, add new, etc!! I clicked, and now can't undo. I can't find any instruction anywhere on how to get back to the normal toolbar view!

Please help!

12 Replies

Hi @Kimberlyf,

There is a "Collapse content" button in the top right. See image.

pic.png

I hope this helps.

Norm

I wish it did, but the entire toolbar is missing... so I don't see the collapse button.

@Norman Young 

Been seeing multiple reports of this. i think there might be a rollout happening causing it caues it's not everyone. Does it do this on all your sites?

I have seen that clearing your SharePoint site cache out of chrome will fix it, but that's not a good thing for your normal users to have to do to clear it up.
Basically if using chrome / chrome edge.

In Chrome settings, go to Clear Browsing Data > Clear "Site Settings"
Close all browser windows and re-open.

That might fix it. You can go down to just the sharepoint.com domain in there too and remove just that.
Don't see this button either. The entire toolbar has disappeared.
This is just so frustrating! once again...

Agreed - after clicking "Expand Content" on SP List, no way to unexpand - need to use back button on browser which goes back two pages. Tried the cache clearing with no success. Same thing happening on Chrome, Firefox, and Explorer.  @Kimberlyf 

best response confirmed by Kimberlyf (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I'm not sure what changed, but now simply refreshing the browser returns the list back to the default view with the toolbar! Thank you everyone for your feedback!!

Hi @Chris Webb - it was happening on all of our sites. I'm not sure what changed, but simply refreshing the browser returns to the default view w/ toolbar now.

Thanks,

~Kim

@KimberlyfUnfortunately a browser refresh isn't enough for us.  Our users have to go through the steps of clearing their cache (in Chrome).  The "expand content" button really isn't very useful anyway; it just bumps the menu bar up to give a little more screen space.  Since it's right next to other, more useful, buttons, users sometimes accidentally click on it and then can't get the menu back.

@Kimberlyf  - I've found that the collapse control is hidden behind our Hub site menu bar.

On a site for the same user on the same tenancy , it appears consistently on a non-hub associated site but always hidden on a hub associated site.

Clue from : https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/275947/sharepoint-modern-experience-expand-content-ca... 

I also noticed that there was a 1 or 2 pixel bump where it should be which allowed me to click to collapse the view.

Hope this helps users and maybe helps Jeff to fix the code. (Tepper still does the code right? )

@Stephen Black, , we have exactly the same issue.
The Hub navigation hides the Action Bar when users use the Expand Content functionality.
It is indeed possible to collapse when you click the lower part of the button which is just noticeable at the right below the Hub site menu.

Action Bar issue.jpg

Big UP to you Chris! Clearing 'Cookies and other site date' reset the view perfectly. And Chrome lets me select time range 'last hour' or 'last 24 hours' so I don't lose all my settings for other sites.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kimberlyf (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I'm not sure what changed, but now simply refreshing the browser returns the list back to the default view with the toolbar! Thank you everyone for your feedback!!

View solution in original post