SharePoint Wiki Table of Content

Iron Contributor

Is it possible to create the screenshot below in SharePoint Online using either Modern pages or Classic pages?

1) Create a Table of Content sidebar 

2) Add TOC sidebar in new Wiki pages (Copy is acceptable)

Ideally, the TOC links sidebar will be updated automatically as pages are added/removed (or once and copied to existing pages). 

Fred

SPO-QuickLinks.png

9 Replies
With a two columns layouts you should be able to do it with no problems
Correct on the section layout.

Though, I would like to have list of links updated as authors add/remove Wiki pages without changing on each page.

You could use structured navigation for this. In the navigation settings you should select the option to automatically add pages to the navigation. This is on classic though. I don't think it is possible on Modern yet. Please be aware that using structured navigation can slow down your page load times when using big structures.

Thanks Robert. Modern option would be nice.

A bit hesitant for structured navigation due to performance implications as there could be many team members authoring the Wiki pages.

Fred

Just an update -- 

I didn't use the Quick Links webpart since it will be tedious to manage on each page when a link is added/removed.

My workaround:

• Created a separate SharePoint list called TOC
  • Created a page template and added TOC list as a sidebar 
  • Copy the template when starting a new page
  • Manage the SharePoint list as needed

This way, any changes to the list are reflected on all Wiki pages.

Fred

@Fred Y I'm research to try and figure out how to get off of Confluence and onto SharePoint.  My current problem seems to be what you are talking about.  I need to build a navigation bar in the left column.  Confluence will do it automagicly.  Are you under the impression that SharePoint does not?

Hi, @ChanceD2 

The left navigation is typically handled by Quick Launch setting or using managed metadata. The one I describe above was a request from a user to list related web pages in sequence separately (sidebar below). 

Header
Quick LaunchContentSidebar navigation

Document

Pages

Recycle bin

[content goes here]

Page 1

Page 2

Page ...

By the way, just curious on why you are moving away from Confluence. 

Fred

@Fred Y 

Thanks for the response Fred.  I'll give it a go.  We are moving away from Confluence purely due to cost. We have O365 and I guess Confluence prices are going up.  That's about all I know.  I'm just a lowly analyst.  :)

@ChanceD2 

We're looking at making the same move. Did you find a way to make TOC's similar to Confluence?