SharePoint Online - Missing Site Assets Library

Copper Contributor

We have a PowerShell based provisioning process to create Modern Communication Sites in batches on SharePoint Online (SPO). In the past few weeks all the sites we created had Site Assets Library missing. Upon further investigation, it seems that we now have to activate "Wiki Page Home Page" feature from "Manage Site Features" to make it available, but this was not the case previously, Did anything changed with the recent updates to SPO? 

Trying to find out anything official from MS on the change. Why we NOW need to activate a feature to access Site Assets Library on Modern Communication Sites.

4 Replies

I've been noticing this a lot lately too. I've activated the publishing feature to get it back. Would love to hear why all of a sudden, it's MIA

I think this has always been the case. When you start adding for instance am image in the Hero web part, then the assets library is creatief for you...

I am experiencing something similar. We provision modern Team sites, and there is no Site Assets library. However, upon investigating this I found, that as soon as I enter "Site contents" (from the Gear-icon in the UI) the library suddenly appears.

I need a way to ensure that the Site Assets library will be available WITHOUT doing some UI thing. I don't want to enable "publishing features" since this is a Team site and has nothing to do with publishing.

Any ideas?

Replying to my own question after some more googling ;)

The "EnsureSiteAssetsLibrary" function does the trick:

$targetWeb = Get-PnPWeb -Connection $targetConnection
		$targetWeb.lists.EnsureSiteAssetsLibrary()

:stareyes: