SharePoint Online Management Shell Not Doing Anything

Iron Contributor

I can't run SPO Management Shell. It opens but just a black screen, no prompt

I can't delete it from my Win10. It just sits there saying "Gathering Information. 

In short, SPO Management Shell has been nothing short of two days waste of time trying to get it to work. It worked once when I installed it then from thereafter, ZIPPO. Black screen. It doesn't run, you cant run as admin, you cant remove and reinstall.

I've attached a screen shot of how it appears when opened and another of the removalprocess that has appeared like this for hours!!!!

There must be some physical way of removing EVERYTHING from regedit or someplace. This is utterly NUTS.

Is it really worth it? Can anyone help?

4 Replies
Rather than using the MSI installer, use `Install-Module` and install it from the PowerShell Gallery.

https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell/

This method is preferred as it is easier to keep up to date.

@Trevor Seward Thanks Trevor.

I'm really a newbee with PowerShell stuff and haven't used this type of interaction/input since DOS so had no idea. Not everyone in the world has unlimited time and desire to try and sift through the reams and reams of msft fluffy documentation.

I will definitely try this.

CW

@Trevor Seward Apparently SharePoint Online PowerShell is not so powerful after all.

• I don't see it in apps to uninstall so I cane do a clean install :facepalm: 
  • I cant use the msft 'Program Uninstaller' because it can't see it either and is asking for some 123232-123343-233434-2 product code :facepalm:
  • Therefore can't uninstall it because it's f'd up in the registry somewhere. EXCELLENT :facepalm:
  • So how do I feel about msft stuff? :facepalm: [this is putting it very very very euphemistically]

2 MONTHS TRYING TO UPDATE MY SITES AND 99% OF THE TIME IS SPENT FIXING THIS FIXING THAT REPARING THIS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THIS OR THAT, THIS IS BROKEN THIS OR THAT ONLY WORKS IF ITS A TUESDAY WITH A FULL MOON. 1% TIME SPENT ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE.

PLEASE OH PLEASE GOD ENSURE MSFT SEES THIS POST.

Well, again, use Install-Module instead of the MSI. Modules installed via Install-Module will not appear in Add/Remove Programs.

Unfortunately I can't fix your Windows Installer issues, but there are _so_ many reasons that any one MSI may fail to install [properly] that isn't specific to the MSI being installed.

Generally when I start seeing systemic issues on a _client_ machine like this, it's easier to pave and rebuild.