SharePoint Online & Limited-access

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I read this article about permissions and limited access.

Limited access:

"Enables a user or group to browse to a site page or library to access a specific content item when they do not have permissions to open or edit any other items in the site or library. This level is automatically assigned by SharePoint when you provide access to one specific item. You cannot assign Limited Access permissions directly to a user or group yourself. Instead, when you assign edit or open permissions to the single item, SharePoint automatically assigns Limited Access to other required locations, such as the site or library in which the single item is located."

I understood from the article that when I set the unique permissions on the file, the user will have an access to the site / library / folder and file. He does not need direct link to the file. E.g.:

1. I create web site - Web
  2. I create library - Documents
  3. I create Folder - Test
  4. I upload file - Document.docx
  5. I change the permissions on the file level. I add a new user on the file "Document.docx".

I see in site settings in permissions that there are users with limited access. I suppose limited access means that user is able to open the link "https://company.sharepoint.com/sites/web" and go through the website directly to document by himself without direct link - as is mentioned in the article "SharePoint automatically assigns Limited Access to other required locations, such as the site or library in which the single item is located."

But I send the link for the website to the user, he got an error message - "Sorry, you don't have access.".

When I send the link for the library, the user can open the library but can not see anything, just empty library. He can not see structure of folders to get in. What do I wrong that limited will work?

Thank you,

Mirek

1 Reply
You have granted the user access to the file, this is all they see. Therefore they have "Limited access". File based permission are typically difficult to manage. Granting permissions to document libraries is much easier.