Sharepoint missing in Office 365 > Add place

Iron Contributor

If our users is creating a PowerPoint file with desktop version of PowerPoint and want to save it to a online SharePoint site, they can not Add a SharePoint site with "Add Place"

The only option the get i OneDrive. I have no problem on my PC or Mac. Im a SharePoint admin so maybe it´s admin rights? But a colleague of mine with Admin rights has no options at all in Add Places ? 

9 Replies

is it possibly locked down by GPO and your user account is in a different OU than your general users?

Don´t know Ivan - I can ask my colleague responsible for GPO, if there are anything different on my account but I doubt is as 3 of my colleagues working in IT Helpdesk with admin right´s also missing the option to Add SharePoint ? But then again my account has SharePoint admin right, and they dont. But it can´t be right that all our users need Admin rights to save to a online SharePoint site?
I'm pretty confident that no SharePoint rights are in any way related to any Office settings. This part of th default Office experience, even for private consumers.
Can you verify that the affected users are logged in in Word for example? Check File > Account. Additionally once logged in with Office 365 credentials, their "OneDrive - Tenantname" as well as SharePoint should be automatically visible.

I have no experience with the Mac, but under Windows I would suggest you to put directly the URL of the site in the save dialog and then to navigate to the desidered library. After doing that, the library would be added to the list in the backstage.

Hope it helps...

Hi Salvatore - If we try to use Add Place nothing happens. We get a Add Service window where we need to type in our email address, then we are asked for Password but that’s all. It´s not GPO as I teste on a domain pc and a standalone PC.

If I do the same on my Mac. I will be presented with an option to type a path to the Sharepoint site I want to add, the "link" for futures use is then avaliable.

I will make a case for Microsoft Premium support

Talked with Micropsoft today. The solution is to use browse the location and save the file. When you site is visible in Today you can pin it for futher use. 

Browse.png

That's exactly what I said... :-))

Hi,
I'm not sure if you ever solved this or found a workaround. But I searched high and low for this and the only thing I found was the setting in the Microsoft Office 2016 ADMX GPO template:
User Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> Microsoft Office 2010/2013/2016-> File Open/Save dialog box-> Places Bar Locations

You can have up to 10 places which works for us as we have 10 site collections.

I realize this is an old thread. We have some users that the Add a Place is not listed.