SharePoint List View Error

Copper Contributor

I'm working in SharePoint Online with/modern experience. When I try to edit my list view or create a new view based on the current view, I receive the following error message:

Sorry, something went wrong An unexpected error has occurred.

7 Replies

@alyssamFortunately I am not able to replicate the issue. May be if you can share some additional information:

Q: Where are you getting this error? When you use as a list view web-part or actual list view pages

Suggestion: If you are getting this error in list view web part, try changing the view and saving it then try altering the view you want might fix the problem.

Q: Have you tried editing the view in the list or library settings page? That should solve your issue.

Suggestion: That might give you the error is tied to the SP modern or Classic behavior.

Thanks,
Vik
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@alyssam Hi, did you ever figure this out?  I'm running into the same issue. Can't edit current views, or create new ones of any kind. 

I finally figured it out!

Every time I tried to edit a particular view I was getting this error.

To fix:

Instead of clicking "Edit current view", I clicked "Save View as", gave the view a new name *i.e. "MyView2"and clicked Save.  

This displayed the actual error/issue that needed to be solved. I was told that a specific column didn't exist and may have been deleted. 

2021-06-09 17_34_42-ITSD-CM - Standard - Active Standard Changes2.png

This column that it thinks may have been deleted was the same name of a column I recently hid from my view (from the List page).

I decided to try to add that column back to the list. I clicked "+Add Column" from my list and selected the "Show/hide column" option. I toggled the column in question back on so it displayed again in the list. 

2021-06-09 17_54_39-ITSD-CM - Standard - Active Standard Changes-screenshot2.png

After that column was displayed in the list again, I could Save the new view, Edit the view that previously threw an error. To safely hide the column from my view I had to toggle off from the "Edit View" page, not hide from the column interface on the SharePoint list. 

Crazy SharePoint ;)

Thanx. This fix solved my problem.

Hi 

I've tried to do the same action described above but I've always the same issuer . Error 

Désolé... Nous avons rencontré un problème
Une erreur inattendue s'est produite.

ID de corrélation : 1561cfa0-a03f-4000-088c-0d0e48c6a551

Date et heure : 11/08/2023 02:19:09

I found another fix. It turns out that when I switched to Swedish as my preferred language in my profile there was confusion about the title. The title field was called "Titel" (Swedish) and the field from the imported Excel file was also called Titel, so there was som language confusion there. I knew that SharePoint sites have a "hidden" site name that you only see when you switch languages (for example from Swedish to English), but this was new to me.

Thank You Helena! Your hint gave me just the thing I was looking for. I had modified Title-field to use different name. After small edit in that name all the view edits are again working.
Furthermore: My edited name contained / (aka slash). After removing that all works fine again. I don't understand why this special character is allowed at all.
This thing drove me nuts. That error message is just stupid and leads to nowhere. The help doesn't work either.