SOLVED

Sharepoint linked contact lists over sites

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

Within our company we use different Sharepoint Sites for different large projects. Within each site we use a contact list. The question is: Is it possible to link/relate all those contact lists to one contact list on a certain 'overhead' Sharepoint Site? So that whithin that site we will be able to see all registered contacts, would be great if it has a column with a site descrition wich states the 'project name'.

Thank you for your help!

Regards, Mark

8 Replies
No out of the box, but this is something you could build

@markkram I agree with @Juan Carlos González Martín, it's something you'd need to build. Either you could use a flow in Power Automate to populate the "overhead" site when a new item is created on one of the project sites. Or you could just view the contacts from the different project sites in a data table or gallery in a Power Apps screen. Power Apps allows you to connect to multiple data sources so that might be the route to choose depending on how many project sites you have.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

best response confirmed by markkram (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@markkram 

Here is my thought - I hope you find something in it that works for you!

• Create a central project site that has info on it that might pertain to ALL projects (I suggest a Communication Site)
  • Make this new site a Hub site
  • Create a master contacts list that lives on the site created above
  • Add a link to the hub navigation that points to the master contacts list
  • Now associate/join all of the project sites to the new Project Hub site created in the first step

With this set up, every associated project will have the same hub navigation at the very top with a link that points to the contact list that lives on the central hub site

I was going to suggest adding a Highlighted Content web part...but apparently that only works for documents! Ugh...if you could select a list in Highlighted Content then that would allow you to grab items from that list that lives on the hub and pull them into a page on any of the associated project sites. 

Good luck and please let us know if any of this works for you!

I like Michael's suggestion of a communication site/hub structure which is what we use for our intranet. It should work well and is certainly easier to get set up.

@Michael Malloy  the highlighted content web part isn't just for documents. By using the managed property web filter we use it for highlighting specifically-tagged pages on our intranet, for example for news of contract wins and it's separate from the main news web part. The tags are set up in the Term Store Management in Site Settings. The page editor enters the relevant tag in the page details and the web part looks at the tags to display the relevant pages:

managedPropertyHC.png

Rob
Los Gallardos

@RobElliott 

Thanks Rob...yes I know it's for more than just docs...but it is NOT for list items (with the exception of events) which was what I was trying to say. Unless I'm missing something.

2020-03-11_12-55-18.png

@Michael Malloy  for list items you need to use a KQL custom query in the highlighted content web part. But it only brings back the Title and Modified columns unfortunately and you have to click on the item in the web part to go to the list item.

listItemHCWP.png

Rob
Los Gallardos

@RobElliott 

Hey that's good info...thanks for that!

Hi everyone, First of all, thank you for all the quick help and tips. I'm a pretty unexperienced SharePoint user but i will expreriment with the idea of @Michael Malloy.

If there's more ideas and tips, i am happy to hear about it!

Kind regards, Mark

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by markkram (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@markkram 

Here is my thought - I hope you find something in it that works for you!

• Create a central project site that has info on it that might pertain to ALL projects (I suggest a Communication Site)
  • Make this new site a Hub site
  • Create a master contacts list that lives on the site created above
  • Add a link to the hub navigation that points to the master contacts list
  • Now associate/join all of the project sites to the new Project Hub site created in the first step

With this set up, every associated project will have the same hub navigation at the very top with a link that points to the contact list that lives on the central hub site

I was going to suggest adding a Highlighted Content web part...but apparently that only works for documents! Ugh...if you could select a list in Highlighted Content then that would allow you to grab items from that list that lives on the hub and pull them into a page on any of the associated project sites. 

Good luck and please let us know if any of this works for you!

View solution in original post