SOLVED

SharePoint Calendar

Brass Contributor

Hi SharePoint colleagues, 

I must have missed something being away from work for some months and now getting back wanting to create a SharePoint calendar from Site contents > New App, and then it's a lot of other external apps and not the SharePoint apps with a normal SharePoint calendar as we have had for years. 

Anyone who knows if the old-fashioned SharePoint calendar is gone forever or how do I create it?

Thank you for your help. 

9 Replies
best response confirmed by MarianneMD (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@MarianneMD"Classic" calendar still exists. 1. One path is +New -> App -> the "My apps" page look for text/link "classic experience". This will take you to the classic apps page to select the familiar "Calendar".

2.  Or add "/_layouts/15/addanapp.aspx" to the end of your site url, will open up the classic apps page.

@MarianneMD,

If you are using SP Online (I assumed this was your case).

Go to site contents:

Tristan999_0-1654314095081.png

At the bottom of the left-hand navigation:

Click on the "Return to Classic SharePoint" and you will get the classic UI:

Tristan999_1-1654314219501.png

Add app and then search for Calendar or scroll through the apps:

Tristan999_2-1654314331167.png

I suspect that MS is possibly trying to get rid of that old calendar or modernize it, but if you want the modern experience you can create a blank list and follow the link:

Tristan999_3-1654314533155.png

Create a calendar view from a list (microsoft.com)

I did a quick test using the steps from the link and it looks fine:

Tristan999_4-1654314852711.png

@MarianneMD Microsoft recently changed the home page of SharePoint Apps. Calendar list template is available in classic experience.

However, you can still create Calendar app in SharePoint. Follow my answer given in below thread for detailed steps: Issue with adding app option 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thank you so much - this helped a lot:).

@Tristan999 hello! I understand they are replacing this feature but with the new list feature I cannot figure out how to overlay calendar views. Is it possible?

@zachciaburri Calendar overlays are not yet supported using modern calendar views in SharePoint online lists or Microsoft lists.

ReferenceCreate a modern Calendar view in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thanks
Does anyone here know what the roadmap is for modern calendars regards to overlays?

@Danie Claassen No news from Microsoft yet for calendar overlays in SharePoint online.

I am creating a calendar atm which can be spread along multiple companies and I found this discussion, it was very helpful. But... can please someone tell me how to get the actual entries from the current group calendar into this?
Whatever I do here, the Calendar/Events list is empty. The only way to get my actual calendar entries showing up is to use the Calendar thing in modern view, which is not sufficient for me.

thanks a lot and cheers
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MarianneMD (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@MarianneMD"Classic" calendar still exists. 1. One path is +New -> App -> the "My apps" page look for text/link "classic experience". This will take you to the classic apps page to select the familiar "Calendar".

2.  Or add "/_layouts/15/addanapp.aspx" to the end of your site url, will open up the classic apps page.

View solution in original post